Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Easy sharing between two Ubuntu systems?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Easy sharing between two Ubuntu systems?

here are some instructions on clearing your keyring. having a bad password in there would cause the symptom you have described.

http://ubuntu-tutorials.com/2007/07/...gnome-keyring/
    you should probably reboot after doing it.
    Things are rarely just crazy enough to work, but they're frequently just crazy enough to fail hilariously.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

@morbius1 the smbclient command with the IP address of the other computer and it's share returned.
    Code:
    Domain=[WORKGROUP] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.4.0]
    tree connect failed: NT_STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME
    @doas777 just deleted the ring; restarting. Will edit with results.

Well now when I connect to WorkGroup it asks me for a password, and will not go beyond that point. So it is the bug. What can I do about it?

If I can't fix this do you two recommend SSH or NFS?
    Last edited by WolfRage; December 29th, 2009 at 01:38 PM. Reason: Keyring deleted results.
    * Challenges are meant to be overcome;
    so adapt, attack and overcome! *
    http://www.feralbytes.com/

Beans

I did a quick google search of NT_STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME and it found something in this forum:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...68#post6335168 Look at post #13.

The whole path to /home/wolfrage/Public has to have at least "read" enabled in it's permissions which is something doas777 mentioned 14 hours ago.

If you do an ls -dl /home/wolfrage does it at least have an r in all 3 sections:

drwxr-xr-x 79 wolfrage wolfrage

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

ssh/scp/sftp is a good option for secure transport, though it is likely overkill for a firewalled internal network, so it will be slower than samba.

to use scp, just install openssh-server, and after that, find and edit your sshd_config to set "PermitRootLogin = no". then save and restart sshd.

after that, all you have to do, is go to another linux pc, open nautilus, and put in the address bar "ssh://<serverNameOrIP>" and it will open a nautilus window to the servers / .
    if you are using a windows client, you will have to use WinSCP.

very easy, just slow.
    Things are rarely just crazy enough to work, but they're frequently just crazy enough to fail hilariously.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Doas777 & Morbius1 I ran the command and no, it does not have read access in all three locations. How do I fix it. I think I know and I am going to try and change it. I will post back I hope that will fix this.

Edit you guys rock! That was it because there was not read permissions at each level! OK now why was the read access not set correctly when I choose to share that folder? I mean why was my home directory not setup by Ubuntu? Shouldn't every one experience this problem?
    Last edited by WolfRage; December 29th, 2009 at 04:00 PM. Reason: Solved!!!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Ok so there is still a problem, not major, but seems like something is broke. The laptop is no longer showing any computers in the network area. So what do you think caused the problem?

Some extra information. I did delete my key ring. Now when I choose windows network, I do not see "WorkGroup". So when I type in smb://workgroup/ I get prompted for my password, but it will not accept any password or aborting, simply continues to ask for my password.
    But when I type findsmb After awhile the other computer shows up as being under the WORKGROUP but not the laptop it's self.
    Last edited by WolfRage; December 29th, 2009 at 04:12 PM. Reason: Workgroup

Beans

So when I type in smb://workgroup/ I get prompted for my password, but it will not accept any password or aborting, simply continues to ask for my password.
    All these shares are still set for guest access right?

What you're describing has happened to me only once and it was between windows and linux because of a peculiarity of how windows accesses remote shares. Are you using the same username on both machines AND did you ever give that username an smbpasswd on box that has the share you're trying to access.

Note that it's asking for authentication at the Workgroup level not the share level.

If it follows the same pattern you should be able to gain access by giving the following when it asks for authentication:

User Name: guest
    Password: NULL <-- leave it blank.

The ultimate answer was to either change someones username or remove the smbpasswd from that user.
    Last edited by Morbius1; December 29th, 2009 at 04:49 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

So I tried the guest user name with no pass and it accepted it but now states "Could not display "smb://workgroup/". "Error: Failed to retrieve share list from server
    Please select another viewer and try again."

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by WolfRage View Post
    So I tried the guest user name with no pass and it accepted it but now states "Could not display "smb://workgroup/". "Error: Failed to retrieve share list from server
    Please select another viewer and try again."
    there can be many causes to that problem. if you want to browse the workgroup itself, I think you need a domain master, to store the workgroups share list. computers fight to determine who is the primaru master browser (the computer with the full list of shares), and the election process can cause problems.

can you still get to discrete shares if yo8u call them by their full names?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

If you mean can I access the shares by netbios or IP then yes I can and that is what I have been doing. So how do I put just one machine in charge?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234