Thread: HP PSC as network scanner

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

HP PSC as network scanner

Hi
    I got my HP PSC 2400 series connected as a shared printer. I want the scanner fuction to work if possible over the network or directly to PDF. Is this possible?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: HP PSC as network scanner

Yep, it is.

I have a PSC 1110 and it works nicely as a printer and network scanner.

First, make sure your printer and scanner works on your local machine (the machine acting as server). Install sane if you don't have it already.

Next, configure the sane server to listen on the network (good reference: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ScanningHowTo)

On the clients, if they are linux edit /etc/sane.d/net.conf and instert the hostname or IP of your server. On Windows clients, you can use SaneTwain (works really well).

Cheers,
    Benedikt Bär - www.relamp.tk
    WARNING: Some commands can be harmful when executed, especially the ones starting with "rm". If you are in doubt what a certain command will do, please ask other members first before executing!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I think Im having troubble setting up the server. (havent tried it on localhost)...

I did set up sane as on a linux sane page.

EditI see on the Ubuntu Help site taht i havent done it correct (I think). I have to check tomorrow....
    I hope it works cous my psc i placed in the garage and im in the house (most of the time)
    Last edited by Karl Norway; December 28th, 2009 at 05:57 PM. Reason: Forgot that im stupid ;)

Beans
    Distro

If you have any error messages / or more information on where you get stuck that would really help us to troubleshoot the issue.
    WARNING: Some commands can be harmful when executed, especially the ones starting with "rm". If you are in doubt what a certain command will do, please ask other members first before executing!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

The one thing I know is that i cant get acces from my Windows machine.

(i have used this thing to help me http://www.linux.com/archive/articles/57798)

Im not shure i did the step where Im supposed to setup the sane deamon to listen on my subnet.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Here is what Im having troubble with.

It comes when i try to

Code:
    sudo invoke-rc.d saned start
    I get tis in return
    Code:
    Starting SANE network scanner server: invoke-rc.d: initscript saned, action "start" failed.
    Whats wrong? I have done everything accordign to the howto link a bit further up.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

When I type in
    Code:
    scanimage -L
    I get this response

Code:
    WARNING: Unhandled message: interface=org.freedesktop.DBus.Introspectable, path=/, member=Introspect
    device `hpaio:/usb/psc_2400_series?serial=HU44LKF0986T' is a Hewlett-Packard psc_2400_series all-in-one
    Am i missing a driver or is the scanner not "open" to all users?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Does Xsane need to run the server?

Beans
    Distro

The Sane daemon seems to not start up. That's why the message:

Code:
    Starting SANE network scanner server: invoke-rc.d: initscript saned, action "start" failed.
    You should first see why the Sane daemon doesn't start, because that is most likely the problem. See if you can find anything on the logs in /var/log/ and/or try to start the sane daemon manually (see the init script on how to do this).