Thread: Unable to install Ubuntu on Asus UL50ag Notebook

Beans

Question Unable to install Ubuntu on Asus UL50ag Notebook

I am having difficulty installing Ubuntu onto my Asus UL50ag notebook. For one thing, I can't seem to get around the Windows 7 startup. Any attempt to get into the BIOS is met only with options for loading or repairing Windows 7. This is my main problem right now. I realize that this may be more of an Asus issue, but I thought there might be someone on these messageboards who has experienced something similar.

Help?

Beans

Re: Unable to install Ubuntu on Asus UL50ag Notebook

Can you bring up a boot menu with Esc when the notebook is first powered on (or reboot)?
    In the world of Linux, who needs Windows and Gates...

Got most of my golden beans at an auction on eBay (with a couple of free drinks).

Beans

#1: Thank you for your reply

Yes. It gives me the option to boot from HDD or CDROM/DVD. I choose CDROM/DVD each time, but I am always redirected to the Windows 7 repair screen. I don't understand it.

Beans

Did you have an Ubuntu bootable CD in the tray?
    In the world of Linux, who needs Windows and Gates...

Got most of my golden beans at an auction on eBay (with a couple of free drinks).

Beans

I figured out my problem(s), the largest one being that I had burnt my installation CD incorrectly. I had tried to burn the image via the file viewer window rather than from right-clicking on the file itself. I also figured out that I needed to hit ESC almost as soon as the computer booted in order to get to the BIOS. The combination of these two revelations made the correctly-executed installation process a breeze.

Thank you to everyone who contributed ideas to this thread. Your help has been MUCH appreciated.=D> =D>
    Last edited by MKep; December 28th, 2009 at 05:22 AM.