Thread: nvidia display issue

Beans

nvidia display issue

I am sure this question has been answered a million times, but here goes.

I just installed 9.10, and the machine has an nVidia FX 5200 card in it. I installed the proprietary drivers, and after reboot I can't get better than a 640x480 display. On a 17 inch monitor I should get at least 800x600. I have tried monkeying with the Xorg.conf, but buggered up the server.

Can anyone help?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: nvidia display issue

Exactly what monitor is it? LCD or CRT?

When you run Preferences/Display does it throw you to NVIDIA X Server Settings? Then can you go to X Server Display Configuration, with a Resolution drop-down? There's also a button labelled "Detect Displays," which has always detected my display.

Beans

It's a crt. And yes it does send me to the nvidia settings and the drop down will only let me go to 640x480. And the detect display doesn't do anything.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I had the same problem when the latest Kernal update came in 2.6.31.17. This old Nvidia 5200 will not handle the new diver 190 only the 173. I bought a cheap new graphics card with Nvidia Geforce 6200 from Tiger for $25 and that solved the problem. If you keep your old 5200 it will never handle the new Kernal upgrades going on into the future.
    Six Saturdays a week for me.

Beans

Thanks, I will give that a try.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by lindsay7 View Post
    I had the same problem when the latest Kernal update came in 2.6.31.17. This old Nvidia 5200 will not handle the new diver 190 only the 173. I bought a cheap new graphics card with Nvidia Geforce 6200 from Tiger for $25 and that solved the problem. If you keep your old 5200 it will never handle the new Kernal upgrades going on into the future.
    +1

Great answer