Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Gadget geeks, do I wait for the Nexus One (Google Phone)?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Gadget geeks, do I wait for the Nexus One (Google Phone)?

Quote Originally Posted by amitabhishek View Post
    Yes...to be precise some ROMs also give an option of making a /swap on SD card just in case you are low on RAM ..
    cool. I was actually wondering if it supports swap partitions.

Yes there was an issue when Google issued a "cease and desist" letter to CyanogenMod - the dude who cooks up these special ROMs. However they have resolved their issues amicably and all the close sourced apps such as market, GPS, gmail etc are now available even on hacked ROMs.

I am not sure if Nexus One ROM will ever be available for hacking and cracking. Because to what I have heard is Google doesn't want to sit on the sidelines and see hardware vendors modding its OS beyond recognition. They want to be in more control just like that fruit logo company.
    I have to read more about Android. I don't know what we can rip from Nexus One's firmware. This affirms Matt Asay's claim that google is open only when it's beneficial to them
    MacBook Air 3,1 128gb | Fujitsu Esprimo U9200 | Google Nexus One

Pinoy ka ba? | Google Profile | Twitter: @AllanCaeg| Identi.ca: allancaeg

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by wersdaluv View Post
    This affirms Matt Asay's claim that google is open only when it's beneficial to them
    There are shades of grey in them. But that's the best we've got at this moment. BTW check this piece of news; lots of action is coming up in 2010 !!!!

Beans
    Distro

There are shades of grey in them. But that's the best we've got at this moment. BTW check this piece of news; lots of action is coming up in 2010 !!!!
    Wow. Now Intel is doing it. I think, there are too many mobile operating systems already. Palm's WebOS isn't successful and I don't think it will ever be. I'm not so optimistic about Nokia's Moblin on the N900 too.

With too many operating systems, dev attention should be split. However, only the best operating systems get the attention. Let's see if small(er) players pull this off.

Beans
    Hidden!

Never buy the first generation anything; with all these new Android Phones coming out it may be wise to wait until about March of 2010 for more refined options.
    "Mind what you have learned. Save you it can." ~ Yoda

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by 今幸福 View Post
    Never buy the first generation anything; with all these new Android Phones coming out it may be wise to wait until about March of 2010 for more refined options.
    If that's the case, the Nexus One sounds safer because this isn't HTC's first Android phone. According to reviews, though, the Motorola Droid is the best Android hardware available today (Engadget, Gizmodo, etc).

Beans
    Hidden!

If that's the case, the Nexus One sounds safer because this isn't HTC's first Android phone. According to reviews, though, the Motorola Droid is the best Android hardware available today (Engadget, Gizmodo, etc).
    Ahh...Good Point.

The Motorola Droid is very, very nice...I hear Walmart has them for $150?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by 今幸福 View Post
    Ahh...Good Point.

The Motorola Droid is very, very nice...I hear Walmart has them for $150?
    I just don't know about the price. Since I'm in a GSM country, I'm looking at the Milestone. On Amazon, you can get it for 695USD. If not in Amazon, I'll buy in Hong Kong where it costs 4680HKD or 603USD

Btw, I just found out that it's the gadget of the year on Time, T3, and Stuff. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolog...-the-year.html

Mmmmmm

pwnst*r is offline Gee! These Aren't Roasted!
    Beans
    Hidden!

then again, Time named the Nook the 2nd best gadget of 09. what a failure that was during the holidays.

Beans
    Hidden!

I just don't know about the price. Since I'm in a GSM country, I'm looking at the Milestone. On Amazon, you can get it for 695USD. If not in Amazon, I'll buy in Hong Kong where it costs 4680HKD or 603USD

Btw, I just found out that it's the gadget of the year on Time, T3, and Stuff. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolog...-the-year.html

Mmmmmm
    Very interesting, this makes the Droid much more interesting...

I confirmed that I can get the Motorola Droid with a 2 year contract for $159.99; free shipping and free activation fee included only online at Walmart.
    http://walmart.letstalk.com/product/...htm?prId=35921

Beans

Yes there was an issue when Google issued a "cease and desist" letter to CyanogenMod - the dude who cooks up these special ROMs. However they have resolved their issues amicably and all the close sourced apps such as market, GPS, gmail etc are now available even on hacked ROMs.
    Depends how you define 'available'. Those apps aren't actually available on hacked ROMS (at least not legal ones like cyanogen). The 'resolution' basically involved cyanogen building a ROM updater which first finds those apps on your phone, then backs them up and re-inserts them into the new ROM. If you didn't have those apps to begin with you wouldn't have them after installing cyanogen since they aren't present in his ROM.

I am not sure if Nexus One ROM will ever be available for hacking and cracking. Because to what I have heard is Google doesn't want to sit on the sidelines and see hardware vendors modding its OS beyond recognition. They want to be in more control just like that fruit logo company.
    a) The Nexus One ROM aka Android 2.1 is already available http://www.engadget.com/2009/12/19/s...h-those-extra/

b) Unless Android stops being open source, every build will eventually be available to anyone who is capable of using it.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast