Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Can the features of a Tablet PC work on Ubuntu Linux?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Can the features of a Tablet PC work on Ubuntu Linux?

What was in "dmesg | grep ttyS" before you installed fpit? Or if you didn't do it try it now.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Favux View Post
    What was in "dmesg | grep ttyS" before you installed fpit? Or if you didn't do it try it now.
    It said

0.920952] serial8250: ttyS0 at I/O 0x3f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A

just like you said it should..

Beans
    Distro

Hi jrozo17,

OK, to look at xorg.conf in a terminal enter:
    Code:
    gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    gedit is the text editor. The path to the xorg.conf file is "/etc/X11/xorg.conf". Copy the contents of xorg.conf and post it. You can use the code tags (# in upper right) to "box" what you copy and paste.

To edit a file use:
    Code:
    gksudo gedit /etc/X11//xorg.conf
    sudo or gksudo make you root/super user. You use gksudo when using a graphical program like gedit (text editor). Be careful when root. It allows you to make changes to system files so you only want to do what you need to and then Save and Close so you don't inadvertantly change something else.

Now you need to follow the instructions in "Setting up configuration files" here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/FujitsuStylus Read it through a couple of times so you know what you want to do.

Except you want to tailor the line to your output, so use this one:
    Code:
    /dev/ttyS0 port 0x3f8 uart 16954 irq 4 baud_base 38400
    instead of the one they show.

Meanwhile I'll write your xorg.conf.

Beans

Hi jrozo17,

OK, to look at xorg.conf in a terminal enter:
    Code:
    gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    gedit is the text editor. The path to the xorg.conf file is "/etc/X11/xorg.conf". Copy the contents of xorg.conf and post it. You can use the code tags (# in upper right) to "box" what you copy and paste.

To edit a file use:
    Code:
    gksudo gedit /etc/X11//xorg.conf
    sudo or gksudo make you root/super user. You use gksudo when using a graphical program like gedit (text editor). Be careful when root. It allows you to make changes to system files so you only want to do what you need to and then Save and Close so you don't inadvertantly change something else.

Now you need to follow the instructions in "Setting up configuration files" here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/FujitsuStylus Read it through a couple of times so you know what you want to do.

Except you want to tailor the line to your output, so use this one:
    Code:
    /dev/ttyS0 port 0x3f8 uart 16954 irq 4 baud_base 38400
    instead of the one they show.

Meanwhile I'll write your xorg.conf.

So you're writing the xorg.conf file, and then when your done, ill do all of this right?

Beans
    Distro

Hi,

No, I need you to post your current xorg.conf and then you can do the other stuff.

Beans

Hi,

No, I need you to post your current xorg.conf and then you can do the other stuff.
    I tried all the codes and its just blank. I'll attach a snapshot instead.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro

Hi Hi jrozo17,

OK, that's normal now with Karmic. Unless you have a Nvidia video card/chipset. So go ahead and follow the FujitsuStylus instructions. Ask if you have questions.

Beans
    Distro

Hi Hi jrozo17,

Alright. If you had a xorg.conf you would back it up using the cp (copy) command like:
    Code:
    sudo cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.bak
    And then if X didn't start (the xorg.conf broke it) so your gui (graphical user interface) i.e. Desktop didn't start what you would do is restore it from the command line interface (CLI i.e. terminal) by reversing it:
    Code:
    sudo cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf.bak /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    Since it isn't there right now you would use the mv (move) command to rename it like so:
    Code:
    sudo mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.bak
    So when you reboot it would be called xorg.conf.bak and wouldn't be read by the system.

Attached to the bottom of the post is the xorg.conf. Click on it to download. Open the download in text editor (right click on it). Open/create your xorg.conf with the root command I showed you before:
    Code:
    gksudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    Copy & paste the entire contents of the downloaded one into the root gedit. Save, Close, reboot and the digitizer should work.

If we're lucky.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans

Talking Re: Can the features of a Tablet PC work on Ubuntu Linux?

Hey!
    I've been running Intrepid on my Gateway CX210X this whole time because the tablet broke when I tried to upgrade, but this thread gives me hope! I'll have to make room and put Karmic in a new partition or on an external drive and try this out. Has anyone else had a problem with X on shutdown with this configuration? Whenever X11 is killed (and the tablet is configured in xorg.conf) the display goes haywire and displays several interlaced frames, often with corrupt cursor where the pointer used to be.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Everything was working for me in my Gateway CX200x until Lucid Lynx Broken dependencies for xorg-fpit drivers...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast