Thread: Can the features of a Tablet PC work on Ubuntu Linux?

Hybrid View

Beans

Can the features of a Tablet PC work on Ubuntu Linux?

Right now I'm running Linux on a Tablet PC laptop, and Im curious if I can "enable" the touchscreen?

I dont HAVE to have it, but itd be nice to put it to use. Is this possible on Ubuntu 9.10?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Can the features of a Tablet PC work on Ubuntu Linux?

This person here wrote a guide that he says should cover most tablets. From what I found getting the touch feature on tablets is a little finicky in ubuntu and running updates can sometimes break it...
    Dell Inspiron e1505 - 10.10/Windows 7
    HP Mini 1030NR - Jolicloud 1.2
    Follow me on Twitter!
    Ubuntu User # 19787 | Linux User #461129

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Hi jrozo17,

Sure you can get most tablet pc's working in Karmic. We need to know the brandname and model you have.

Not strictly necessary but it also helps if you know which touchscreen/digitizer you have. For example Wacom, N-trig, UMPC, etc. Also whether it is serial or usb in its internal connection, but .

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Favux View Post
    Hi jrozo17,

Sure you can get most tablet pc's working in Karmic. We need to know the brandname and model you have.

Not strictly necessary but it also helps if you know which touchscreen/digitizer you have. For example Wacom, N-trig, UMPC, etc. Also whether it is serial or usb in its internal connection, but .

Sure thing Favux.

I have a Gateway CX2724 laptop.. although i cant find what the name of the touchscreen is

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Hi jrozo17,

It has a serial Finepoint digitizer. First before you do anything else run this command in a terminal:
    Code:
    dmesg | grep ttyS
    or maybe:
    Code:
    sudo dmesg | grep ttyS
    What we want to see and preserve is output that looks something like:
    Code:
    serial8250: ttyS0 at I/O 0x3f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
    Once we have that you can install the driver which is called 'fpit' (xserver-xorg-input-fpit) through Synaptic Package Manager. Then reboot.

So far we haven't figured out how to install it through a fpit.fdi (device information file) and have had to revert back to the xorg.conf. Unless you want to experiment with developing a .fdi that's what we'll do.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Favux View Post
    Hi jrozo17,

It has a serial Finepoint digitizer. First before you do anything else run this command in a terminal:
    Code:
    dmesg | grep ttyS
    or maybe:
    Code:
    sudo dmesg | grep ttyS
    What we want to see and preserve is output that looks something like:
    Code:
    serial8250: ttyS0 at I/O 0x3f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
    Once we have that you can install the driver which is called 'fpit' (xserver-xorg-input-fpit) through Synaptic Package Manager. Then reboot.

So far we haven't figured out how to install it through a fpit.fdi (device information file) and have had to revert back to the xorg.conf. Unless you want to experiment with developing a .fdi that's what we'll do.

Ok so following the directions you just gave me, should it work? Or is there more to it that your gonna tell me?

Im just makin sure so i dont get confused.. you know how us linux noobs are