Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 30

Thread: Can the features of a Tablet PC work on Ubuntu Linux?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Beans
    103

    Can the features of a Tablet PC work on Ubuntu Linux?

    Right now I'm running Linux on a Tablet PC laptop, and Im curious if I can "enable" the touchscreen?

    I dont HAVE to have it, but itd be nice to put it to use. Is this possible on Ubuntu 9.10?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Beans
    733
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: Can the features of a Tablet PC work on Ubuntu Linux?

    This person here wrote a guide that he says should cover most tablets. From what I found getting the touch feature on tablets is a little finicky in ubuntu and running updates can sometimes break it...
    Dell Inspiron e1505 - 10.10/Windows 7
    HP Mini 1030NR - Jolicloud 1.2
    Follow me on Twitter!
    Ubuntu User # 19787 | Linux User #461129

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Beans
    9,635
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Can the features of a Tablet PC work on Ubuntu Linux?

    Hi jrozo17,

    Sure you can get most tablet pc's working in Karmic. We need to know the brandname and model you have.

    Not strictly necessary but it also helps if you know which touchscreen/digitizer you have. For example Wacom, N-trig, UMPC, etc. Also whether it is serial or usb in its internal connection, but .

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Beans
    103

    Re: Can the features of a Tablet PC work on Ubuntu Linux?

    Quote Originally Posted by Favux View Post
    Hi jrozo17,

    Sure you can get most tablet pc's working in Karmic. We need to know the brandname and model you have.

    Not strictly necessary but it also helps if you know which touchscreen/digitizer you have. For example Wacom, N-trig, UMPC, etc. Also whether it is serial or usb in its internal connection, but .

    Sure thing Favux.

    I have a Gateway CX2724 laptop.. although i cant find what the name of the touchscreen is

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Beans
    9,635
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Can the features of a Tablet PC work on Ubuntu Linux?

    Hi jrozo17,

    It has a serial Finepoint digitizer. First before you do anything else run this command in a terminal:
    Code:
    dmesg | grep ttyS
    or maybe:
    Code:
    sudo dmesg | grep ttyS
    What we want to see and preserve is output that looks something like:
    Code:
    serial8250: ttyS0 at I/O 0x3f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
    Once we have that you can install the driver which is called 'fpit' (xserver-xorg-input-fpit) through Synaptic Package Manager. Then reboot.

    So far we haven't figured out how to install it through a fpit.fdi (device information file) and have had to revert back to the xorg.conf. Unless you want to experiment with developing a .fdi that's what we'll do.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Beans
    103

    Re: Can the features of a Tablet PC work on Ubuntu Linux?

    Quote Originally Posted by Favux View Post
    Hi jrozo17,

    It has a serial Finepoint digitizer. First before you do anything else run this command in a terminal:
    Code:
    dmesg | grep ttyS
    or maybe:
    Code:
    sudo dmesg | grep ttyS
    What we want to see and preserve is output that looks something like:
    Code:
    serial8250: ttyS0 at I/O 0x3f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
    Once we have that you can install the driver which is called 'fpit' (xserver-xorg-input-fpit) through Synaptic Package Manager. Then reboot.

    So far we haven't figured out how to install it through a fpit.fdi (device information file) and have had to revert back to the xorg.conf. Unless you want to experiment with developing a .fdi that's what we'll do.

    Ok so following the directions you just gave me, should it work? Or is there more to it that your gonna tell me?

    Im just makin sure so i dont get confused.. you know how us linux noobs are

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Beans
    9,635
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Can the features of a Tablet PC work on Ubuntu Linux?

    Hi jrozo17,

    There's more. It depends on what you want to do. Try to come up with a .fdi file or use the proven xorg.conf method which requires other stuff to be setup along with the xorg.conf.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Beans
    103

    Re: Can the features of a Tablet PC work on Ubuntu Linux?

    Quote Originally Posted by Favux View Post
    Hi jrozo17,

    There's more. It depends on what you want to do. Try to come up with a .fdi file or use the proven xorg.conf method which requires other stuff to be setup along with the xorg.conf.
    I have no idea what those file extensions mean or how to do it. If its gonna be pretty complicated then I wont worry about it, its not necessarily the #1 thing on my mind.. but i do appreciate all the help i can get.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Beans
    9,635
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Can the features of a Tablet PC work on Ubuntu Linux?

    Hi jrozo17,

    Well complicated is a relative term. We're talking about 10 to 40 minutes depending on how quickly you "get it". It's pretty straight forward to edit the 4 files you'll need to change for the xorg.conf method which it sounds like is the way you prefer to go. Have you done the other stuff yet?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Beans
    103

    Re: Can the features of a Tablet PC work on Ubuntu Linux?

    Quote Originally Posted by Favux View Post
    Hi jrozo17,

    Well complicated is a relative term. We're talking about 10 to 40 minutes depending on how quickly you "get it". It's pretty straight forward to edit the 4 files you'll need to change for the xorg.conf method which it sounds like is the way you prefer to go. Have you done the other stuff yet?
    Okay that sounds perfect. Just as long as you guide me through, id appreciate it. I installed the thing through Synaptic Manager like you said. Whats next?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •