Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: "Unknown Monitor" and cant increase resolution beyoud 800x600

Beans

Smile Re: "Unknown Monitor" and cant increase resolution beyoud 800x600

First of all thanks to Sharaq for your excellent post and help.

I followed his instructions and the resolution changed and worked fine

However as with many other posts I could not keep this permanent by editing the /etc/gdm/Init/Default file as he suggested

As wizel post in thread http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1370258&page=2 I confirmed that the gdm file was not being used at startup hence reason why pasting xrandr commands into this file did not change resolution upon restarting!!

So I then created script file /usr/local/bin/increase_resolution.sh as detailed in wizels other post in thread above

However when I created this file you can
    see resolution changing once starts up. More annoyingly using this I had to remove my clock and CPU monitor applets on the desktop as showing in middle of screen.
    Even more annoyingly
    I noticed that when starting up from cold cairo dock was in middle of screen and changed colour on lots of menu's looks to grey.
    Last edited by mpatrick; January 27th, 2010 at 01:54 PM. Reason: Did not post all of my text

Beans

Smile Re: "Unknown Monitor" and cant increase resolution beyoud 800x600

Oops sorry I have to carry on from my original post as seems to be limit on amount of text (new to this posting)

Only way to overcome this was to log back in again then all worked ok but not a very good fix for me!!

So the reason I am posting is the way I found to overcome this is as follows from thread https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Config/Resolution

Copy and paste the relevent xrandr command line strings you need for your resolution (determined from sharaqs earlier post in this forum) into file below so they're executed when you log in

Code:
    sudo gedit ~/.xprofile
    Make file executable and hey presto

An example of my .xprofile file is below with the 3 xrar commands

Code:
    xrandr --newmode "1440x900_60.00"  106.50  1440 1528 1672 1904  900 903 909 934 -hsync +vsync

xrandr --addmode VGA1 1440x900_60.00

xrandr --output VGA1 --mode 1440x900_60.00
    After doing this my resolution shows itself changing during startup screen and everything on my desktop now works correctly, ie all panels lining up, cairo dock in right place, clock and system monitor applets all ok on desktop. So problem solved for me.

Only thing to remember with this fix is that will need to do for each user on pc.

I hope that above makes sense and that is might help someone else

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: "Unknown Monitor" and cant increase resolution beyoud 800x600

Hi, I'm Chris and I'm new to Ubuntu. I just installed 8.10 on my system. I have the "Unknown Monitor 800x600" problem it seems many people are having.

I have an SiS 65x/M750/740 PCI/AGP VGA Display adapter on the motherboard of my PC. I am using my HDTV as a monitor. In Windows XP I can select 1024x768 and it all look good.

When I use the xrandr commands in terminal following Sharaq's post I have this problem:

chris@chris-desktop:~$ xrandr --output default --mode 1024x768_60.00
    xrandr: Configure crtc 0 failed
    Does anyone know what "Configure crtc 0 failed" means?

The screen tries to resize for a split second and remains at 800x600.

If I go to: System\Preferences\Screen Resoultion my monitor is still "Unknown" but I have a 1024x768 option, but nothing happens when I apply it?

Thanks

Beans

Hello, I only got to the third step: xrandr --newmode "1368x768_60.00" 85.25 1368 1440 1576 1784 768 771 781 798 -hsync +vsync

where it writes:
    Error of failed request:
    BadName (named color or font does not exist)
    Major opcode of failed request: 152 (RANDR)
    Minor opcode of failed request: 16 ()
    Serial number of failed request: 13
    Current serial number in output stream: 13
    I have the Intel GMA X4500 card, might this be the problem? I have heard the card acts up.
    I have kubuntu 8.10 Thanks

Beans

Thumbs down Re: "Unknown Monitor" and cant increase resolution beyoud 800x600

Why do we have to go to hell and back to get our monitors supported resolution to work in Ubuntu?

I have tried all of this
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...83&postcount=6
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1364460&page=5
    And then I have no idea whats going on with this.
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1370258&page=2

Which is fricken crazy!!! For the life of me I cannot get 1280x1024 to be activated on login.

This is just nuts.

Words cannot even describe how stupid this is.

What is the matter with ubuntu and resolutions? It is gonna cause me to have a Heart Attack.

I officially give up trying for the sake of my Heart!!!!!!

Beans

Thumbs down Re: "Unknown Monitor" and cant increase resolution beyoud 800x600

Below helped me out and actually worked.
    http://www.linuxreaders.com/2009/11/...10-resolution/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by Jarvus View Post
    Why do we have to go to hell and back to get our monitors supported resolution to work in Ubuntu?

I have tried all of this
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...83&postcount=6
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1364460&page=5
    And then I have no idea whats going on with this.
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1370258&page=2

Which is fricken crazy!!! For the life of me I cannot get 1280x1024 to be activated on login.

This is just nuts.

Words cannot even describe how stupid this is.

What is the matter with ubuntu and resolutions? It is gonna cause me to have a Heart Attack.

I officially give up trying for the sake of my Heart!!!!!!
    In the 10 years I have been using Linux, this is the one problem that has plagued almost every single install. Why this doesn't get fixed is beyond me. I don't even care about 3D acceleration or anything fancy, I just want the basic HD resolutions to work right out of the box with any graphics card. In Windows I can pick modes that the monitors can't handle, in Linux I can't use th resolutions that the monitor should be using.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Caps18 View Post
    In the 10 years I have been using Linux, this is the one problem that has plagued almost every single install. Why this doesn't get fixed is beyond me. I don't even care about 3D acceleration or anything fancy, I just want the basic HD resolutions to work right out of the box with any graphics card. In Windows I can pick modes that the monitors can't handle, in Linux I can't use th resolutions that the monitor should be using.
    I am so glad someone else is with me on this subject, seems like the moderators don't give a hoot. I so agree with you, resolution should work right out of the box with any gfx cards just like Microsoft Windows. I've had this prob ever since i started using [Ubuntu 4.10]. They need to get this sorted out badly, it is about time to work on this problem and not worry about example: [changing name of software sources to software store or w/e there doing.]

Beans

Just wanted to give my thanks for this fix and also make an enquiry. I'd also like to thank everyone in this thread for making no noticeable usage of the colloquialism, "automagic". ****, that phrase annoys me.

I've got a Samsung HDTV with 100hz, that I use as my PC monitor. It recently occurred to me that the reason videos looks so jumpy, is due to:
    a) most videos being between 23.9 to 25 FPS
    b) my monitor's refresh rate being stuck at 60hz (30 FPS)
    c) my TV trying to kick that up to 100hz (50 FPS).

This resulted in most videos going crazy at 1 second intervals, with any motion on screen becoming jumpy. Forcing 50hz modesetting with xrandr has fixed the issue.

Now, for my enquiry.

I'm still on 9.04 and have the following in my xorg.conf:
    Code:
    Section "Monitor"
    	Identifier	"Configured Monitor"
    	VertRefresh	50-60
    	Modeline "1920x1080_50.00"  141.45  1920 2032 2232 2544  1080 1081 1084 1112  -HSync +Vsync
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
    	Identifier	"Default Screen"
    	Monitor		"Configured Monitor"
    	Device		"Configured Video Device"
    	DefaultDepth	24
    	SubSection "Display"
    		Modes		"1920x1080_50.00" "1440x900" "1280x1280" "1280x1024" "1280x960" "1152x921" "1152x864" "1024x768" "832x624" "800x600" "720x400" "640x480"
    	EndSubSection
    EndSection
    Yet no 50hz option is available in xrandr or xfce4-display-settings.

Additionally, I don't have a graphical login manager, I just use login and, "startx", manually, so I can't do the gdm init fix

I could create a script with the relevant xrandr commands and add it to my autostart folder, except in the past, when I've added scripts that alter modesetting, to xfce4's startup process, I've had xfce components like xfce4-panel crash, making that an undesirable fix.

Cheers in advance.

Beans

NM, figured out an alternative. Added this to my .xinitrc:
    Code:
    exec sh bin/xrandr_fix.sh &
    exec xfce4-session

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast