Thread: HDMI/RS-232 to RCA video

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

HDMI/RS-232 to RCA video

Is said conversion possible? My laptop has HDMI and RS-232 outputs, and I'd like to be able to connect to my old TV, which only has RCA inputs (Yellow-White-Red connections if that helps).

Beans

Re: HDMI/RS-232 to RCA video

The VGA port could be used with something like this:

http://www.cablestogo.com/product.as...101&sku=40878#

Audio is pretty easily handled with a mini-stereo (plugged into the headphones port) to RCA:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...ill-_-82021057

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by SSTwinrova View Post
    The VGA port could be used with something like this:

http://www.cablestogo.com/product.as...101&sku=40878#
    Unfortunately I need composite and RS232 on different sides

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

You can get VGA-RCA adaptors, then you'll need a 3.5mm stereo-RCA cable from your audio out/headphone for sound. Your local electronics store should be able to sort you out with adaptors or cables. Ebay can be quite good for picking things like that up cheap.

BTW, your VGA output is not RS-232, even though they have similar-looking D-Sub connectors. It's unlikely that your laptop has an actual RS-232 port if it was made in the last few years.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Paqman View Post
    You can get VGA-RCA adaptors, then you'll need a 3.5mm stereo-RCA cable from your audio out/headphone for sound. Your local electronics store should be able to sort you out with adaptors or cables. Ebay can be quite good for picking things like that up cheap.

BTW, your VGA output is not RS-232, even though they have similar-looking D-Sub connectors. It's unlikely that your laptop has an actual RS-232 port if it was made in the last few years.
    oh, alright, well thanks. I'll check at like radioshack for "VGA-RCA adapter".

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I ordered the same cable (HDMI to VGA) through ebay and it didn't work right out. I'll try to find a solution for this. any ideas?
    I am running an Inspiron 11z laptop with Ubuntu 9.10

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

RS-232 is a very old interface that was used for modems and serial data transfer. My Commodore 64 had an RS-232 slot that I plugged my 1200 baud modem into. It has nothing to do with video.

Check out This box that converts your VGA out to a composite/s-video signal. It should do exactly what you want. But like others said, you'll have to get a 1/8" to stereo RCA adapter cord for your audio. Just plug the 1/8" side into your headphone jack.
    Last edited by forrestcupp; January 2nd, 2010 at 05:57 PM.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Yes you're right. I just tested with a HDMI TV and it work great. I need to use a converter box from my HDMI/VGA digital to VGA analog. The one you sent sounds good.
    Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by forrestcupp View Post
    RS-232 is a very old interface that was used for modems and serial data transfer. My Commodore 64 had an RS-232 slot that I plugged my 1200 baud modem into. It has nothing to do with video.

Check out This box that converts your VGA out to a composite/s-video signal. It should do exactly what you want. But like others said, you'll have to get a 1/8" to stereo RCA adapter cord for your audio. Just plug the 1/8" side into your headphone jack.