Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Can anyone help with my Windows problem?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Can anyone help with my Windows problem?

My MBR is fine - all my Linux installs boot up fine so it's nothing to do with my hard drive.

When I put in the recovery CDs, the text "Setup is inspecting your hardware configuration" flashes for a second, and then it goes blank. No startup screen or anything.

I can't boot into the recovery console. Every single boot option from the hard drive reboots as soon as I select it, and the CDs don't work.
    Last edited by Yes; December 24th, 2009 at 05:05 PM.

Beans

You really dont want to use recovery console with windows unless you really know what your doing.

Automated recovery has worked fine the few times I've used it.

It is possible that your WinXP discs are dodgy...that about all I can think off to be honest. (I'd suggest just reinstalling winXP but since you cant get anywhere with your current install discs thats obviously not going to fly....) Maybe try to *cough* borrow a different install disc from somewhere on the net? Or even from a friend

Dont worry, windows install discs are not 'who wants to be a millionaire', you can make more than 1 phone call, and it doesnt have to be done in, er, 60 seconds?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by cascade9 View Post
    You really dont want to use recovery console with windows unless you really know what your doing.

Automated recovery has worked fine the few times I've used it.

It is possible that your WinXP discs are dodgy...that about all I can think off to be honest. (I'd suggest just reinstalling winXP but since you cant get anywhere with your current install discs thats obviously not going to fly....) Maybe try to *cough* borrow a different install disc from somewhere on the net? Or even from a friend

Dont worry, windows install discs are not 'who wants to be a millionaire', you can make more than 1 phone call, and it doesnt have to be done in, er, 60 seconds?
    If it is your disc you can get replacement (Alternate Media) disc from MS for $9.95. So if you got a regular 32bit XP or Vista you can purchase a 64bit disc with the most recent service packs. I had purchased Vista32bit when it came out, just 2 weeks ago I purchased replacement disc using my original key code and got a new 32bit and 64bit disc in the mail both with service pack 2. Cost was only $9.95 and 10 days wait. You can request faster shipping for like $5 more if I remember correctly. Just FYI.
    Linux User: 380654
    CIW Certified Internet Web Professional: 435668

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123