Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Applications menu won't open

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Exclamation Applications menu won't open

Basically that's it. I have no idea what's wrong. I just uninstalled the KDE environment from my Ubuntu 9.04 installation, and now I can't open the Applications menu in my custom menu panel applet. In the main menu applet, the applications menu just doesn't appear. I haven't found anyone else with this problem, so I have no idea how to fix it. Any ideas?

Edit: Okay, so I just found a file in my .config folder called 'applications.menu', which is completely blank. Is this a problem?
    Last edited by Trogdole; December 23rd, 2009 at 10:34 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Applications menu won't open

That's weird. As a very temporary work-around, you can open nautilus and go to /usr/share/applications and just open apps from there by clicking on them.
    Windows has and has always had zero TCO, because Microsoft owns it and you never do. You may be charged for the joy of possibly being allowed to use Windows, if you're a good boy or girl. But it's really totally free of ownership costs.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I'm currently having the same problem... is there a way to fix it?
    I can't even open the "Edit menu's"

And I really don't wanna reïnstall ubuntu... again... (well this time it's not actually my fault)

Edit:
    I tried to open a game in Application -> Games.
    As soon as I clicked it, my laptop was blinking the Numlocks and Capslock key.
    Couldn't move my mouse nor hear my music player, the whole thing just froze, only thing I could do was to reset my laptop.

When I restarted Ubuntu, the error occured.

Edit2:
    The game continious to crash, when I opened it in terminal, it said the following:
    The VAD has been replaced by a hack pending a complete rewrite.
    Last edited by superstalker; January 9th, 2010 at 02:19 AM.
    [ Ubuntu 9.10 - Karmic Koala F.T.W. Edition ]
    { Intel Core 2 Duo T8100 - 2100 MHz - 3072 MB Internal Memory - NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GS }

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Seriously... no one?
    { Intel Core 2 Duo T8100 - 2100 MHz - 3072 MB Internal Memory - NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GS }

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Well... guess I have to reïnstall it again....

Beans

Exclamation Re: Applications menu won't open

The exact thing happened to me. I am running a brand new copy of Ubuntu 9.10 on a Evo N800c compaq laptop. I am running absolutely nothing unusual and decided to install bzflag client, server, data and the main bzflag file from synaptic.

As soon as I clicked it in the applications menu (applications, games, bzflag) it blinked on and off. Then i restarted, it gave me the bash prompt. I had to select the fix option from grub just to get it to run, then start x to get the x-server running again.

Now, my application menu is clickable but nothing opens at all, and under System on the same menu, the Preferences and Administration menus are also missing.

DO NOT INSTALL BZFLAG ON UBUNTU 9.10 Unless you see someone post a fix on here.

Beans

I am having this same problem. I have a drop down menu for everything except applications. I am trying to find the Ubuntu Software Center. It does not seem to be anywhere yet it was listed as installed in Add/Remove. I have since uninstalled Add/Remove using the terminal and tried to do the same with Ubuntu Software Center but I get an error saying " cannot find application".
    Any suggestions. I am using Ubuntu Studio 9.10 I do not want to have to reinstall as I have been using this since it first came out! I am not new to the forums, but had to re-register because I could not reset my password. ( different e'mail address than three years ago!
    Last edited by KWS48; March 26th, 2010 at 03:09 AM. Reason: forgot details

Beans

Did you try System -> Preferences -> Main Menu? You can configure what is in the Applications drop down. If your .config/menus/applications.menu is also blank, mine looks like this:-
    http://www.pasteall.org/11942

Obviously, you will have to change all the /home/username/ entries to your own username
    Last edited by stoneage; March 26th, 2010 at 03:40 AM.

Beans

One work around is to create a new user. (no need to reinstall)
    If you cant get the system menu do this:
    alt-f2
    users-admin

There are a couple of other workarounds, but this might be the quickest solution.
    Support 7z in default installs!!!: Click Here

How to use code blocks to post command output: Click Here
    Official Ubuntu Documentation

Beans

Unhappy Re: Applications menu won't open

OK. Tried that and got the drop down menu. Ubuntu Software Center is not listed.

So now what do I do? I no longer have Add/Remove nor Software Center. If it isn't there, how can I install it?

When I tried to use the teriminal I got a message " no such application ".
    Last edited by KWS48; March 26th, 2010 at 11:12 PM. Reason: mispelling

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast