View Poll Results: Best backup software?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Grsync

7 35.00%
  • Unison

2 10.00%
  • Sbackup

0 0%
  • Others

11 55.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best backup software - Once again!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Best backup software - Once again!!

What is your favorite backup software if you want to sync/transfer all your data from your home folder to external drive?

I have have tried Grsync, Unison, and Simplebackup.

Grsync- superfast but i don't know how to exclude and include the folders.

Unison - i like it but its extremely slow.

sbackup - didn't like it.

One of the problem with backup is if you change the name of files the software has to transfer it (redundancy).

What's your opinion and suggestions?
    Amor cuerdo, no es Amor.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Best backup software - Once again!!

My backups are just make an iso of the drive, and store it on an external hard drive.
    I probably need to get a 1TB external drive soon...
    Last edited by Marvin666; December 23rd, 2009 at 01:41 AM.
    Laptop: MSI CR700, 17.3" WXGA++ 16:9 1600X900 NVIDIA MCP79MVL GeForce 8200M G 512MB shared, Dual core Intel T4200 2GHZ 800MHZ 1MB, 320GB SATA, 4GB RAM (max), 6.5lbs

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.10 Cosmic Cuttlefish

You can exclude files using grsync by adding something like "--exclude-from=".grsync/exclude"" in the Additional options field under the Advanced Options tab. Then just make a file in ~/.grsync called "exclude" and put path and or file names to exclude in the file, 1 per line.

To answer the question, I used to like Sbackup, but I found it to be slightly buggy and not a very active project. I recently came across a really nice backup program called Déjà Dup. I only have 2 minor complaints about it. 1) since it doesn't run as root it can't handle situations where you don't have permissions to access a file, though I hear this may be planned for a future release. And 2) it doesn't seem to compress the on-disk data. For a single user system it works really good. If you're looking for something for a multi-user system it probably won't work as well.
    Blog | Ubuntu User #15350 | Zsh FTW | Ubuntu Security | Nothing to hide?
    AMD Phenom II X6 1075T @ 3GHz, Nvidia GTX 650, 8GB DDR3 RAM, 1 X 1TB, 2 X 3TB HDD
    Please don't request support via PM

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Just rsync.
    Desktop
    Antec 300 Illusion, Athlon II X4 640, 8GB DDR3 1333, EarthWatts430W, Radeon HD 6670 1GB
    Laptop
    Lenovo Thinkpad Z61T, T7200@2.00GHz, 2GB DDR2, 100gb HD, TPM Encryption

scouser73 is offline Iced Blended Vanilla Crème Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Wink Re: Best backup software - Once again!!

Pybackpack

Beans

I built a FreeNAS system on couple of drives, FreeNAS boots from a 2GB drive & all files are stored on a 1TB drive. They are in drive drawers that I install in my tower when I want to back up, after which I shut down No.2. box & remove the drives to protect them from any kind of power spikes.

The other software that I've recently used to clone a 320GB (to a 1.5TB drive that went back into the iMac as an upgrade) that had fat32, HPS+, Ext3 & JFS filesystems on it was Clonezilla, it did a perfect job.

Clonezilla has many options, is really easy to use from its LiveCD & is what I would use if I was cloning images of partitions for backup. Which I will do one day, when I get around to buying a 2TB external drive.

I will clone the 6 or so systems we have here onto it, & then continue to use FreeNAS for backing up the data. Then I'll have a really quick reinstall solution if one of the systems becomes unrepairable or the drive fails.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by Warpnow View Post
    Just rsync.
    This is what I use. No GUI to use grsync. Unless it's web-based. (My other admin tools are web-based)
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans

I just use copy paste. Why go through all the hassle of a program to simply copy files?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TheNessus View Post
    I just use copy paste. Why go through all the hassle of a program to simply copy files?
    That's what I do with FreeNAS, I just use Worker, the two pane dirutil, so I can see my source & destination directories (in this case workstation & FreeNAS) & any details that may interest me regarding date/time, permissions & such. Select the files/directories that I want to move or whatever...

I personally prefer the visual method it makes it a lot less likely that I'll make a mistake, or miss something.

If I was dealing with a lot of data, I would probably be using rsync or something of that ilk; as it is I don't have to spend much time keeping up to date backups in our home.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by FuturePilot View Post
    You can exclude files using grsync by adding something like "--exclude-from=".grsync/exclude"" in the Additional options field under the Advanced Options tab. Then just make a file in ~/.grsync called "exclude" and put path and or file names to exclude in the file, 1 per line.

To answer the question, I used to like Sbackup, but I found it to be slightly buggy and not a very active project. I recently came across a really nice backup program called Déjà Dup. I only have 2 minor complaints about it. 1) since it doesn't run as root it can't handle situations where you don't have permissions to access a file, though I hear this may be planned for a future release. And 2) it doesn't seem to compress the on-disk data. For a single user system it works really good. If you're looking for something for a multi-user system it probably won't work as well.
    Thanks the above command worked for me. How about if i want to add an include from command?

Thanks,
    SK.
    Amor cuerdo, no es Amor.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast