Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nvidia G210M onboard ASUS UL80V

Beans

Unhappy Nvidia G210M onboard ASUS UL80V

I recently bought an ASUS UL80V in China and I was not satisfied by its performance in WIN. So I turned to Ubuntu Karmic. As it was first installed, I got the perfect resolution I paid for, 1366x768 (14'). But I was informed that "no proprietary drivers are in use in this system". I have an Nvidia G210M onboard, so I just installed Nvidia Driver 185, just as what I was told to. Then I went for reboot. However, after the Ubuntu emblem (the white ring) vanished, there appeared a few lines of words and the screen flashed incessantly. I saw that the last line was something like "scrubru@scrubru-laptop login". The orginal login screen wouldn't show up. I could hardly type in any words. So I reinstalled the system and didn't enable the proprietary driver.
    Once I tried to play Counter-Strike via Wine, but the game reacted so slowly that I could hardly make any moves. Is the 3D ability of my video card not maximized because I didn't enable the driver? I'm using Compiz for 3D desktop effects now and it works well. And the orginal chess game installed has the same bad performance as CS's after enabling the 3D view.
    It is my first time using Ubuntu (and Linux),and I am looking for help right now.

Configuration of my Laptop
    ASUS UL80V
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala 64-bit
    Intel ULV SU2300 (consisted of two U2300@1.20GHz)
    Nvidia G210M with CUDA

Beans

Re: Nvidia G210M onboard ASUS UL80V

I had bad luck with the 185 driver. I was trying to enable a 210m in friends Toshiba. There is a new beta driver available 195.22, see how to instructions here.
    http://www.ubuntugeek.com/how-to-ins...epidhardy.html

Seems to me though your computer uses a Intel 4500 for power savings or a 210M for performance. I am interested in the UL30 VT model which does the same thing. After searching the UL30 VT on here I read in Ubuntu there is currently no support for switching between the two. I would assume it is the same for yours. Search the other UL models and see.

Beans

Sorry I see they can't turn off the G210M

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...t=g210m&page=6

And the beta driver is a 195.30 now but I haven't tried it yet.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by Scrubru View Post
    .....So I reinstalled the system and didn't enable the proprietary driver.
    ouch. you could have just renamed, moved or deleted your xorg.conf using the kernel's rescue mode or from a live dvd.

but for the record, after a period of tinkering with these drivers It's plain and clear the G210M is not supported under linux on certain laptops, mine in particular a sony vaio VPCCW13FX.

Solution? SEND BUG REPORTS TO NVIDIA.

From Nvidia's web site:
    To submit Linux bug reports please email (In English only) linux-bugs@nvidia.com or linux-nforce-bugs@nvidia.com please attach an nvidia-bug-report.log, which is generated by running "nvidia-bug-report.sh".

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by wentzr View Post
    ouch. you could have just renamed, moved or deleted your xorg.conf using the kernel's rescue mode or from a live dvd.

but for the record, after a period of tinkering with these drivers It's plain and clear the G210M is not supported under linux on certain laptops, mine in particular a sony vaio VPCCW13FX.

Solution? SEND BUG REPORTS TO NVIDIA.

From Nvidia's web site:
    To submit Linux bug reports please email (In English only) linux-bugs@nvidia.com or linux-nforce-bugs@nvidia.com please attach an nvidia-bug-report.log, which is generated by running "nvidia-bug-report.sh".
    could anyone get this work? I tried to install the nvidia driver with ubuntu karmic but as soon as I start up the system I only see a black screen instead of X.

Does anyone have Nvidia G210M work with the ASUS UL80V?

(please post a short instruction..and xorg.conf)

Beans

I am in the same boat with the Asus UL30VT

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Dimtar View Post
    I am in the same boat with the Asus UL30VT
    Add UL50VT as well

So, Linux is out Windows 7 went back in until there is a fix.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

It's not sounding good for my new laptop - went for an nVidia card specifically because I'd heard their linux driver support was much better than ATi's. Having had the suggested proprietry driver fail on me last night I've been trawling the internet for good news this morning with no luck.

Lenovo G550 here by the way. Guess I have to return to Windows 7 too

Edit: With a little more digging, the outlook is starting to look a bit brighter. The posts above refer to beta nVidia driver 195.30 back in December '09. The newest driver version appears to be 195.36.15, available here, and it lists the G210 under "Supported Products". Could this be the answer..? I can't get to my own laptop to try it until tomorrow morning. If anyone's keeping an eye on this topic, let us know how you get on!
    Last edited by M1ke; April 9th, 2010 at 09:48 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Has anyone tested the new driver? It says it supports the g210 not the g210m. I'm not sure how much of a difference that will make.

I'd really like to know how this turns out to help me decide if I will purchase this laptop or not.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quick update on my progress: On booting the laptop again yesterday morning the proprietry driver ubuntu suggested post-installation appears to be working properly. The version number is given as 185 and I have full compiz effects, desktop cube, the works. As such I've not tried the new driver myself, but can at least confirm that 185 works for the Geforce G210M on the Lenovo G550.

Seems odd that the same driver didn't work for the same graphics card on the reported Asus laptop models though. Why might that be? I didn't think the rest of the hardware could make a difference.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast