Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Nvidia G210M onboard ASUS UL80V

Beans

Re: Nvidia G210M onboard ASUS UL80V

Thank you for all your posts!

I sort of figured out the logic behind the SATA/Compatibility Switch.
    WIndows XP/2000 do not support graphics card hot-switching. They even don't support native SATA mode.

By turning to Compat Mode, Windows XP/2000 can be installed and one of the graphics card will be turned off ( or it will cause panic to the Windows system). The best option, it seems, is to turn of the integrated Intel card.

Beans

Hold on, does anyone here really have a UL80V (instead of UL80Vt)? The BIOS for UL80V, according to Asus websites, stays at version 208, while the BIOS for UL80Vt goes up to version 213 (where switching of SATA mode does the trick).

UL80V comes with Intel Core 2 @1.2Ghz and UL80Vt comes with Intel Core 2@1.3Ghz. UL80Vt also has the feature of "Turbo 33" which enables the overclocking to 1.6Ghz. Has anyone really succeeded in using the BIOS file for UL80Vt in UL80V? Someone here in China reported that he has done so using Asus' app in Windows XP. Not only could he use the discrete video card in Windows XP (Windows XP does not support graphics hot-switching), he could also overclock his 1.2GHz CPU in an awesome speed of 1.6GHz. See (if you could read Chinese) http://bbs.bios.net.cn/thread-148196-1-1.html

I have a pure Ubuntu install so I am not able to use Asus' app to change the BIOS. I could only use the update feature directly in the BIOS. Has anyone applied the change successfully directly in the BIOS? I mean, a change from UL80V to UL80Vt?

Beans

i have ASUS UL80VT and the solution provided is not working here

the default VGA running is still Intel even though i have use the new xorg.conf from NVidia installer

here's the result of lspci | grep VGA

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 07)
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation Device 0a74 (rev a2)

PS: I'm using Slackware 13.1 though, but i think it's not related

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by willysr View Post
    i have ASUS UL80VT and the solution provided is not working here

the default VGA running is still Intel even though i have use the new xorg.conf from NVidia installer

here's the result of lspci | grep VGA

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 07)
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation Device 0a74 (rev a2)

PS: I'm using Slackware 13.1 though, but i think it's not related
    Hi, the solution proposed by Dakila is fine IF YOU FLASH THE BIOS with a newer version (I've tried with the last provided by asus : 213 -> OK).
    Then, you'll have only one VGA with lspci.
    Now I can test openCL codes with this laptop within a linux environment !

To flash the bios, I've used asus tools provided with windows7 with success.

remark :
    I did first tried with easy flash from asus bios setup menu; but I dont realy know what "C:" means. On my computer, it is /dev/sda2 : where is the widows7 root partition. I copy the UL80VT.213 file for bios update into that repertory but could not see it from the bios easy flash ??? changing this filename extension (.213 -> .bin?) does not fixe the problem.

I hope that linux software solutions will make it as simple as for windows in a not to far futur !

Marc.
    Last edited by MarcoParentho; August 26th, 2010 at 12:41 PM. Reason: orthographe correction

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123