Thread: installing xCrsYDen on Ubuntu 9.10

Beans

Angry installing xCrsYDen on Ubuntu 9.10

Hi,

I am really absolute beginner to Ubuntu. I have been using ubuntu for academic purposes for 2 years. But, since i have changed my computer i couldn't run the Xcrysden. I need your help.

I have been using a laptop with Nvidia 8800M GS graphic accelerator. My OS was Ubuntu 8.10 and Xcrsyden didnt even crash for once.

Now i have a desktop with ATI HD 5850 and I installed Ubuntu 9.10. But now i couldnt install the Xcrsyden. I have extracted the files that i downloaded from its website and i double-clicked the xcrysden file to open the program and clicked 'run' in new window; but nothing happened. It was the way i use the program when i was using my laptop. Since i am totally newbie, i dont know what else to do.

So, please I need your help! I must see the atomic structures with this program, that i have been creating on Octave . I can't use any other software such as Pymol or Xmakemol.

Please show me a way how to install xCrsyden properly.

Thanks...

Beans

Angry Re: installing xCrsYDen on Ubuntu 9.10

I have the same problem. Couldn't run xcryden either for binary or source one.
    I ran xcrysden from terminal window and it just flashed up and then disappeared no error or warning message. Just don't work.
    Any idea?

Beans

Re: installing xCrsYDen on Ubuntu 9.10

Hi,
    I solved the problem.
    What I did was:

I compiled Xcrysden from source code

1. I went to terminal window type in

Code:
    xcryden -d
    and found that my problem was with libGL.so
    so I go to synaptic and mark to install libgl1-mesa-swx11-i686. By that the package libgl1-mesa-glx would be replaced by libgl1-mesa-swx11-i686.

After that I editted Make.sys

add the line
    Code:
    -L/usr/lib/mesa
    into
    Code:
    X_lib =
    go to terminal
    Code:
    make clean
    make all
    Try it and see if you solve the problem. If not send us the result of