Thread: can't manage groups - 9.10 64-bit

Beans

can't manage groups - 9.10 64-bit

I believe this WAS working... but now I go to Users and Groups, click the button to allow changes and I get the password dialogue. enter password, click Authenticate and..... nothing. The dialogue stays and the Authenticate button is still there but no text area to enter password.

If I close the box, the "keys" show up in the notification area indicating I'm authenticated, but clicking on Manage Groups brings up a blank list. No groups in it.

WTF?

Anyone got any ideas? I'm new to 64-bit. New computer (Dell Zino HD) with 8GB of memory so I won't go back to 32-bit at this point. I'd just like Ubuntu to be its old reliable self.
    Dell Zino HD, AMD Neo X2 e6850, 8GB, 750GB, ATI HD4330 in MXM slot.

Beans

Re: can't manage groups - 9.10 64-bit

not sure about the symptons you're having, but for me the users and groups applet has never really done what i wanted it to do. i'm managing those things from the cli, it always works

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Try opening a terminal and entering "sudo users-admin". That should, if it works, start Users and Groups with administrative privileges (in other words, already authenticated). If it doesn't work, then please copy & paste any output from the terminal into this thread.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dearingj View Post
    Try opening a terminal and entering "sudo users-admin". That should, if it works, start Users and Groups with administrative privileges (in other words, already authenticated). If it doesn't work, then please copy & paste any output from the terminal into this thread.
    I'm at work now and not at the Ubuntu machine, but I did try from a terminal running sudo users-admin, also tried gksudo users-admin. Both of those had the same result. I get into the users-admin app and I am apparently authenticated as there were no errors. However when I try to "Manage Groups", it opens, and the list is empty. I don't get a list that's greyed out. I get the dialogue open with no groups in it at all.

This WAS working earlier because I had to add myself to the vboxusers group and it worked for that.

And yes, I can do this stuff from command line, but if the tools are there, they should work

Beans

bump
    If you look through this forum there are several authentication issues in Karmix. I'm wondering if they're all related.

I still have not solved this.