Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help needed with Wireless - Switched over to Ubuntu completely

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Question Help needed with Wireless - Switched over to Ubuntu completely

Hi all, Due to many problems arising in Vista, I've completely switched over to Ubuntu. As I had a Ubuntu 8.10 DVD ready with me, I installed it. Now I've only one problem - connecting to Internet via Wireless. Now I am connected through Wired, but which is not possible all the time because of some constraints. I need your help to get connected via wireless.
    I used the help file for wired connection.
    First of all, I'm using BSNL broadband, with ASDL modem. I'm given a username & a password for logging in.
    I typed sudo pppoeconf in Terminal and then followed the steps which were very easy for Wired Connection.
    But as I said I cannot used wired connection as I cannot carry the modem to other room, and I cannot sit near modem due to disturbances, I need some help to get connected via Wireless.

System Configuration:
    DELL Inspiron 1420
    Memory: 1 GB
    HDD: 120 GB
    Service Provider: BSNL
    Modem Type: ADSL
    Distro: Ubuntu 8.10
    Please help me.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Help needed with Wireless - Switched over to Ubuntu completely

What type of wireless card? If you open a terminal and paste this in:

Code:
    lspci
    ... you should be able to spot it somewhere in there.

Check System->Administration->Hardware Drivers

Is there a driver in there disabled? Also, when plugged in via cable, you don't get offered a driver or firmware when you update? If you have not updated do so now (or as soon as you get near your wired connection).
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; December 21st, 2009 at 08:38 AM.

Beans
    Distro

lspci
    rahul@DreamMachine:~$ lspci
    00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile PM965/GM965/GL960 Memory Controller Hub (rev 0c)
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 0c)
    00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 0c)
    00:1a.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 02)
    00:1a.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #5 (rev 02)
    00:1a.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #2 (rev 02)
    00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 02)
    00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port 1 (rev 02)
    00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port 2 (rev 02)
    00:1c.3 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port 4 (rev 02)
    00:1c.5 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port 6 (rev 02)
    00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 02)
    00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 02)
    00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 02)
    00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #1 (rev 02)
    00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev f2)
    00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801HEM (ICH8M) LPC Interface Controller (rev 02)
    00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801HBM/HEM (ICH8M/ICH8M-E) IDE Controller (rev 02)
    00:1f.2 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801HBM/HEM (ICH8M/ICH8M-E) SATA IDE Controller (rev 02)
    00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) SMBus Controller (rev 02)
    03:01.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Ricoh Co Ltd R5C832 IEEE 1394 Controller (rev 05)
    03:01.1 SD Host controller: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C822 SD/SDIO/MMC/MS/MSPro Host Adapter (rev 22)
    03:01.2 System peripheral: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C592 Memory Stick Bus Host Adapter (rev 12)
    03:01.3 System peripheral: Ricoh Co Ltd xD-Picture Card Controller (rev 12)
    09:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetLink BCM5906M Fast Ethernet PCI Express (rev 02)
    0c:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 3945ABG [Golan] Network Connection (rev 02)
    Check System->Administration->Hardware Drivers
    It's displaying that "No proprietary drivers are in use on this system." Can you tell me the name of the update which is to be ticked for Wireless connection. B'coz there are lot in there. Thanks for your reply.
    Last edited by rawfool; December 21st, 2009 at 08:56 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Code:
    09:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetLink BCM5906M Fast Ethernet PCI Express (rev 02)
    This is the part that concerns us. A newer Broadcom. Broadcom cards are now well supported but the newer ones can be problematic I have noticed.

System->Administration->Synaptic Package Manager. Search for and install 'ubuntu-restricted-extras'.

System->Administration->Update Manager. Check for updates.

Is there now anything in Hardware Drivers? If not, you might like to take a look here:

http://www.google.com/cse?q=Broadcom...c6y19&ie=UTF-8

A quick look shows this card DOES work pretty well but can take some tweaking to do it. Is the light on on the card? Could you open a terminal (Applications->Accessories->Terminal) and paste this in:

Code:
    iwconfig
    Hit enter then would you copy and paste the output and post it back here, please?
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; December 21st, 2009 at 09:15 AM.

Beans

I believe his wireless card is an Intel,the broadcom is the wired card.If you need the driver for the Intel card please see the following link. I have no idea how to install it tho so maybe someone else can help.....

http://www.intellinuxwireless.org/?n=downloads

Beans
    Distro

Thank you all for your replies once again.

@ Bucky Ball - Below is the output of iwconfig
    rahul@DreamMachine:~$ iwconfig
    lo no wireless extensions.

eth0 no wireless extensions.

wmaster0 no wireless extensions.

wlan0 IEEE 802.11abg ESSID:""
    Mode:Managed Frequency:2.412 GHz Access Point: Not-Associated
    Tx-Power=15 dBm
    Retry min limit:7 RTS thrff Fragment thr=2352 B
    Power Managementff
    Link Quality:0 Signal level:0 Noise level:0
    Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
    Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0

pan0 no wireless extensions.

ppp0 no wireless extensions.
    Last edited by rawfool; December 21st, 2009 at 10:12 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

When you hit the network icon in the toolbar what do you get? Right click it ...

Not sure if 8.10 is the same but ...

System->Administration->Network. Hit your wireless card then properties. You need to match the ESSID and security key (WEP or WPA or whatever) with those in your router or access point. Actually looks like your card is up and named 'wlan0', just missing a secure network.
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; December 21st, 2009 at 10:28 AM.

Beans
    Distro

When I hit the Network icon, it's showing/detecting the signal from Modem. And also if I switch over to Wireless mode, in browser if I type 192.168.1.1, it asks for username & password which is admin for both for BSNL Broadband in India. I can see that modem is actually communicating with my laptop. Here not able to open any site. I don't know how to proceed from there.

As of now I'm downloading all the updates from Update Manager and will take an hour or so with my slow connection.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by rawfool View Post
    When I hit the Network icon, it's showing/detecting the signal from Modem.
    I presume you mean from the wireless modem-router? A modem doesn't put a wireless signal out - the wireless part of the router does that. Can you confirm that you have a wireless modem-router? Which make and model?

Intel wireless chipsets should work out of the box. The firmware for the 3945 and the driver is included in a default install of 9.10.

Left-click on the network manager icon. Do you see your network listed? If so, simply click on it. If you have protected it with WEP or WPA (I really hope you have chosen WPA), it will prompt you for your encryption passkey, and then you will connect. If you haven't secured it, it will simply connect. There should be no more to do.

Edit:

Quote Originally Posted by rawfool View Post
    in browser if I type 192.168.1.1, it asks for username & password which is admin for both for BSNL Broadband in India.
    I detect a bit of confusion here. If you type 192.168.1.1 in a browser, you are asked for your username and password for the router web-interface - which is usually admin and admin, as you say. You would be well advised to change these. This username and password is nothing to do with you ISP - even if your ISP provided you with the modem-router. Your ISP will have provided you with a separate username and password for the modem, so that it can autoconnect to the broadband connection. This is something else.

And completely different again - which is what you might need here - is the WEP/WPA passkey which either you will have programmed into the router, or perhaps the router came with a passkey already set up. Some ISPs here in the UK provide wireless-routers for their customers already set up with WPA for convenience.
    Last edited by coffeecat; December 21st, 2009 at 12:51 PM.

Please do not PM me about your forum account unless you have been asked to. The correct place to contact an admin about your account is here.

Beans
    Distro

Yes it's a wireless ASDL modem. A Nokia-Siemens one made specially for BSNL Broadband. If I select the wireless option, I can connect to modem by opening the browser and typing 192.168.1.1 which asks for username & password, but this username & password is not the one which I use for connecting to internet. But merely doing this is not enough to get connected I think. Thank you all for your patience and replies.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast