Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: How-to Install 9.10 on fakeraid

Beans

Re: How-to Install 9.10 karmic on fakeraid

This shows nothing for me, im still stuck. Ive followed every fix on the forums so far with no fix.

3. ls /dev/mapper
    In this example the output would have shown "nvidia_cffbdeda, nvidia_cffbdeda1, nvidia_cffbdeda2" where nvidia_cffbdeda is the hdd. All the others listing a # on the end are the partitions. If you don't know what partition is the root of your installation check out gparted. I will use nvidia_cffbdeda1 in the following steps as an example for mounting and chrooting into the installation.

Here is what happens when i try to use dmraid from liveDVD

root@ubuntu:/dev# dmraid -ay
    ERROR: isw device for volume "RAID" broken on /dev/sda in RAID set "isw_ccjcchchhd_RAID"
    ERROR: isw: wrong # of devices in RAID set "isw_ccjcchchhd_RAID" [1/2] on /dev/sda
    ERROR: isw device for volume "RAID" broken on /dev/sdb in RAID set "isw_ceebgdgjii_RAID"
    ERROR: isw: wrong # of devices in RAID set "isw_ceebgdgjii_RAID" [1/2] on /dev/sdb
    RAID set "isw_ccjcchchhd_RAID" was not activated
    RAID set "isw_ceebgdgjii_RAID" was not activated

Beans

Re: How-to Install 9.10 on fakeraid

I have done that, i took me 9 hours to get Vista back to an level woth taking an image. And dmraid still didnt work >.< lol.

I have two RAID arrays set up because i love organization. One for linux one for NTFS.

ICH10R chipset doesnt seem to work to well your right.

Quote Originally Posted by gilson585 View Post
    I've read somewhere that the ICH10R chipset and its built-in raid is somewhat flaky in linux. Not sure why it had worked in 9.04 but not 9.10 in your case. I'm gonna take a wild guess here but I would like to believe dmraid can't make sense out of the metadata defining your array. The only way to prove that would be start the array from scratch. I'm sure you dont want to backup all your data and try that just to get linux, I don't blame you. Maybe wait a lil while longer for 10.04 and see if that works for you. It may also be that the command used for device is not english on your sys try typing help at the GRUB CMD line.

How-to Install 9.10 x64 karmic on fakeraid 1 (Mirroring)

I have successfully installed Ubuntu x64 9.10 (Karmic Koala) on a fakeraid 1 (mirror) volume following this thread. Thank you very much for this clear and easy How-to. In my opinion, this will work for any type of fakeraid 0, 1, 0+1, etc. Despite of this, I have some comments to do:

Introduction: use gparted to create the partitions on your fakeraid volume (I've used ext4); run the installation; on the advanced options select "No grub installation"; after installation you can begin the process.

1. No comments.

2. No comments.

3. No comments.

4. No comments.

5. No comments.

6. No comments.

7. No comments.

8. After installing legacy GRUB 0.97, you will need to copy the stage files to the /boot/grub directory. If you do not, point 10 will fail. Thus,
    apt-get install grub
    cp /usr/lib/grub/<architecture>/stage1 /boot/grub
    cp /usr/lib/grub/<architecture>/stage2 /boot/grub
    cp /usr/lib/grub/<architecture>/<partition_type>_stage1_5 /boot/grub

9. Check /boot/grub/device.map. The file permissions should be 644.
    grub-install /dev/mapper/<fakeraid_volume>

10. Don't know why, but I had to manually edit /boot/grub/menu.lst to point correctly to the booting partition.

13. Here "sudo" is not needed.
    echo "grub hold" | dpkg --set-selections
    echo "grub-common hold" | dpkg --set-selections

14. No comments.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I had success using OP's instructions and Neurotic's additional notes on grub-update, grub-install failure, etc. Running Ubuntu 9.10 server on AMD 64 w/Nvidia SATA RAID controller, configured for RAID 0.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I found a pretty hacker workaround.

-I ran the Ubuntu Alternate installer (regular one doesn't work with my video card)
    -Got to the point where it drops out of the install due to grub2 install failure.
    -Went thru steps in post one, but as installer is running, chrooting to /target
    -moved my /etc/apt/sources.list to /etc/apt/sources.bak
    -created new sources.list with
    deb http://cz.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu lucid main
    -apt-get update
    -apt-get install grub-pc

Worked like a charm, I was able to select my nvidia raid instance instead of /dev/sd0 /dev/sd1. Secret is grub2 that comes with 9.10 is 1.97beta4 or something, lucid had 1.98 stable =)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Figure I could add some details to this thread from my travails over the wknd (started my RAID-1 install Friday night, just minutes ago finally got it working). Not multi-OS system here, single boot.

Summary - grub1.98 fixes the issue(s) that spawned this thread, from my experience anyway...

(gilson585 - tx a million for your post, informative and definitely educational, your lines are inserted below where I used them)

Here's what worked for me (mb = xfx sli 750a, fakeraid 1), at least to the best that my memory serves:

- assumes you configure an internet link off your live cd/usb

1) Create RAID-1 array via BIOS (x2 320GB SATAII drives)
    2) Boot the live 9.10 CD
    3) Terminal -> 'sudo dmraid -r' and 'sudo dmraid -s' both report the mirror looks AOK.
    4) Run through installer, installed OS onto RAID-1 array
    - manually created 2 partitions, swap and /
    - unchecked the install boot loader via advanced options on the last screen
    5) Mount your install and login,
    Terminal,
    sudo mkdir /mnt/root

ls /dev/mapper
    In this example the output would have shown "nvidia_cffbdeda, nvidia_cffbdeda1, nvidia_cffbdeda2" where nvidia_cffbdeda is the hdd. All the others listing a # on the end are the partitions. If you don't know what partition is the root of your installation check out gparted. I will use nvidia_cffbdeda1 in the following steps as an example for mounting and chrooting into the installation.
    sudo mount /dev/mapper/nvidia_cffbdeda1 /mnt/root
    *If this fails use nautilus (thunar in xbuntu) to mount your Ubuntu root partition then use mount to find the mount location. This location will be used in place of /mnt/root in the following steps.
    sudo mount --bind /dev /mnt/root/dev
    sudo mount -t proc proc /mnt/root/proc
    sudo mount -t sysfs sys /mnt/root/sys
    sudo mount -t devpts devpts /mnt/root/dev/pts
    sudo cp /etc/resolv.conf /mnt/root/etc/resolv.conf

sudo chroot /mnt/root /bin/bash
    apt-get purge grub2 grub-pc
    apt-get update
    apt-get dist-upgrade
    mv /etc/apt/sources.list /etc/apt/sources.bak
    echo deb http://cz.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu lucid main > /etc/apt/sources.list
    (thanks Kzin)
    apt-get install grub-common
    apt-get install grub-pc
    - select default options, pick your RAID array for the boot device in the last screen of the setup
    upgrade-from-grub-legacy
    6) Confirm grub version...
    grub-install -v
    (should report back 1.98)
    6) Reboot
    Nice to know this is/will be worked out for 10.04. Great stuff.

Beans

FINALLY got this working on an ICH7R in RAID0! I tried to do this years ago and could never get anywhere.

I had problems because of how I set up the partitions, which led me to use a combination of this thread and the FakeRaidHowto starting at 8

[IMPORTANT - I found that all of my problems have been from trying to make too many partitions for /usr, /var, etc - there might be a way to do it but I couldn't figure out how to mount more than one partition or move files around and then be able to get anything to work; it finally worked when I just had swap, root, tmp, and home partitions]

I just want to thank all of the posters on here who added all of this content, I would have never made this work with as little experience as I've had (basically just simple kubuntu/ubuntu setups)

Sorry if I haven't followed the proper forum guidelines, first post and all that....

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by jonnovision View Post
    echo deb http://cz.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu lucid main > /etc/apt/sources.list
    You forgot to mention "apt-get update" after that.

Plus you never say what to do about the sources.list after that.

Beans
    Hidden!

I'm posting this to be a bit more complete near the end of the list of steps:

1) Create RAID array via BIOS (I've only tested this with RAID-1 but RAID-0 should also work)
    2) Boot the live 9.10 CD
    3) Terminal -> 'sudo dmraid -r' and 'sudo dmraid -s' both report the mirror looks AOK.
    4) Run through installer, installed OS onto RAID-1 array
    - manually created 2 partitions, swap and /
    - unchecked the install boot loader via advanced options on the last screen
    5) Mount your install and login,
    Terminal,
    sudo mkdir /mnt/root
    ls /dev/mapper

sudo mount /dev/mapper/nvidia_cffbdeda1 /mnt/root
    *If this fails use nautilus (thunar in xbuntu) to mount your Ubuntu root partition then use mount to find the mount location. This location will be used in place of /mnt/root in the following steps.
    sudo mount --bind /dev /mnt/root/dev
    sudo mount -t proc proc /mnt/root/proc
    sudo mount -t sysfs sys /mnt/root/sys
    sudo mount -t devpts devpts /mnt/root/dev/pts
    sudo cp /etc/resolv.conf /mnt/root/etc/resolv.conf
    sudo chroot /mnt/root /bin/bash
    6) Install Grub2 from Lucid
    apt-get purge grub2 grub-pc
    apt-get update
    apt-get dist-upgrade
    mv /etc/apt/sources.list /etc/apt/sources.bak
    echo deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu lucid main > /etc/apt/sources.list
    apt-get update
    apt-get install grub-common
    apt-get install grub-pc

- select default options, pick your RAID array for the boot device in the last screen of the setup
    upgrade-from-grub-legacy
    7) Confirm grub version...
    grub-install -v
    (should report back 1.98)
    8) Hold packages
    echo "grub-common hold" | debconf-set-selections
    echo "grub-pc hold" | debconf-set-selections

9) Restore sources.list
    mv /etc/apt/sources.list.bak /etc/apt/sources
    apt-get update

10) Reboot
    Last edited by nutznboltz; April 6th, 2010 at 03:16 PM. Reason: adjust step numbers

Beans

It worked for me with Ubuntu 9.10 server 64 bit. I have a custom modified HP Pavilion E9200Z. I had to copy the files using cp /usr/lib/grub/<your-cpu-arch>-pc/ and ignored any error messages I recieved. Now to try gnome, didn't have luck with it in debian.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast