View Poll Results: What do you celebrate around this time of year?

Voters
84. You may not vote on this poll
  • Christmas

60 71.43%
  • El Dia de los Tres Reyes

2 2.38%
  • Hanukkah

3 3.57%
  • Kwanzaa

3 3.57%
  • Birthday

11 13.10%
  • Epiphany/Theopany

3 3.57%
  • Festivus

10 11.90%
  • Other

28 33.33%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: What do you celebrate around this time of year?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: What do you celebrate around this time of year?

Quote Originally Posted by cascade9 View Post
    Ditto for yours LOL. (well, apart from central america, you guys really let the side down there)
    Mexico and Argentina are really shaping up to be developed, tbh. Although, the corruption in Mexico's government is slowing progress down there.

BTW, nice work on the 'Indian' problem. Thats barbarism for you (we did it the easy way, nowhere near as many bullets, more poisoned water supplies and infected blankets here).
    Believe it or not, the majority of white Americans have some degree of Amerindian genes in them. Sad sad thing that we did to the poor Amerindians.

Beans

Nothing.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

It used to be Christmas, but now I don't really celebrate anything around this time of year. Christmas is just too commercial. I usually go on vacation this time of year to avoid it.
    Do you folks like coffee?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Nothing.
    OP, put "Nothing" as an answer in the poll.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Even though it has no religious meaning tome, I still choose to celebrate x-mas.
    I see it as a goodwill towards mankind sort of thing. A day for us to forget our differences, and give unselfishly. I decorate some, but not a lot.
    I know I have some indian blood, but I don't know how far back. Other than that, mostly british and german.
    Laptop: MSI CR700, 17.3" WXGA++ 16:9 1600X900 NVIDIA MCP79MVL GeForce 8200M G 512MB shared, Dual core Intel T4200 2GHZ 800MHZ 1MB, 320GB SATA, 4GB RAM (max), 6.5lbs

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Solstice.
    Desktop: Custom - AMD Athlon X4 Quadcore 4.02GHz, 8GB DDR3, 750GB HDD, 500GB HDD, Win7 x64/Ubuntu 14.04 x64
    Laptop: Thinkpad T61 - Intel Core 2 Duo 2.00GHz, 4GB DDR2, 500GB HDD, Win7 x86/Ubuntu 14.04 x86

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by fromthehill View Post
    5 dec - sinterklaas: some guy with a beard and hat that comes from Spain with a steamboat with his black piet's(they're black because they've climbed through chimneys.).

kids put their shoes at the chimney (or wherever their parents say they have to) every night until dec-5 when they get presents and the guy leaves to spain.

25-26 dec - christmas: another guy with a beard and a hat that gives presents to kids

I don't celebrate anything, I just work alle those days
    My wife tells me that the story goes, the original Sinterklaas & Black Pete, would put a little, usually edible gift in the children's clogs (left outside at the entrance to the house) if they had been good, or sticks, stones or thistle in the clogs of those that weren't good! lol

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Hwęt View Post
    Mexico and Argentina are really shaping up to be developed, tbh. Although, the corruption in Mexico's government is slowing progress down there.

Believe it or not, the majority of white Americans have some degree of Amerindian genes in them. Sad sad thing that we did to the poor Amerindians.
    Argentina is south america, not central by any measure. Totally different continent.

Mexico has issues, but IMO a lot of them would be reduced if the US stopped its pointless (and doomed to fail) 'war on drugs'.

I've never actually heard that before, if you have any hard info then I would actually like to see it (not sayign its not true, I'm just curious)

Sad sad thing the west in general did to, well, everybody else. The only people I can think of who didnt get totally shafted by the west was the Maori. I'm not quite sure if thats just the english empire was finally running out of steam, or if it was just luck (BTW, yes, I am aware of issues around the treaty of Waitang, but it at least exists and didnt get ridden over rough-shod like the indian treaties in the US, even if it was ignored by the courts and parliment in NZ till the 1970s)

*edit- I always forget Thailand, they got off pretty well in the colonial period. Compared to everybody else anyway.
    Last edited by cascade9; December 23rd, 2009 at 03:22 PM.

Beans

Nothing, except the fact I get a few weeks off.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by handy View Post
    My wife tells me that the story goes, the original Sinterklaas & Black Pete, would put a little, usually edible gift in the children's clogs (left outside at the entrance to the house) if they had been good, or sticks, stones or thistle in the clogs of those that weren't good! lol
    don't know much about the original story
    he originaly came from turkey instead of spain if I recall correctly

havent celebrated anything last years

I hate holidays so much because my family thinks I should pay for the presents for my nephews who get more allowance in a month than I get while I'm working fulltime+40hours unpaid internship(i'm 18 )
    FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast