Thread: Blocking Updates (Only Some of Them)

Beans

Blocking Updates (Only Some of Them)

I need to keep getting updates for everything except Firefox and XULRunner, which I can update myself because I like to stay more cutting edge on those and use like FF 3.5.6. I tried unchecking these and moving on with regular update installation, but I can't get the other updates to stop prompting me with the little orange icon.

I have Ubuntu 8.04 LTS.

How do I disable only those updates so that I don't keep getting prompted for them?
    SuperMike
    When in doubt, follow the penguins.
    Evil Kitty is watching you

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Blocking Updates (Only Some of Them)

I have never done this, but I read it in a post. It might or might not be what you want.

If you open synaptic package manager, find the package and select it, in the menu bar under "package" there is an option to fix the version so that it wont be updated. I don't know how that will react to you manually updating the packages.
    Michael

Beans

If you're installing firefox yourself from source, then you should remove the firefox package, then reinstall firefox from source.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

You can select the desired packages in Synaptic, then go to the "package" menu at the top of the screen and select "lock version." See first attached screenshot.

You can track down all your locked packages later by going to "status" and then "pinned" (see second screenshot.)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by MaxIBoy; December 21st, 2009 at 04:04 AM.
    He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.
    -Thomas Paine

Beans

Re: Blocking Updates (Only Some of Them) [RESOLVED]

MaxIboy -- that did the trick. It's now stopping those updates so that I can do them on my own.
    SuperMike
    When in doubt, follow the penguins.
    Evil Kitty is watching you