Thread: hd4670

Beans

Wink hd4670

Hi everyone...i know its a bit of a long shot,as they've only just come out,but can anyone tell me if i can use my graphics card,a radeon hd4670 on ubuntu/kubuntu,have lots of different versions,64 and 32 bit.Tried on ultimate,but no luck.Ati dont do an up to date driver,i got 8.8 on disk,and 8.9 doesn't support my card,i tried a few-bit wierd i think.

Thanx all

Re: hd4670

It should work. Just use a live cd, and see if you have any problems. If you don't (or do) then then installing should be the same.

Moved to Hardware and Laptops.
    Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence. Abigail Adams ( 1744 - 1818 ), 1780;

My blog Poetry and More Free Ubuntu Magazine

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Hi rover3500

I did it with catalyst 8.9 to hardy x64
    here my result of fglrxinfo command

@monkey:~$ fglrxinfo
    display: :0.0 screen: 0
    OpenGL vendor string: ATI Technologies Inc.
    OpenGL renderer string: ATI Radeon HD 4670
    OpenGL version string: 2.1.7979 Release
    But I got problem with video overlay
    to play video files or tv from saa7130 I have to stop compiz.
    still looking for solution for that.

Beans

My Output with fglrxinfo:
    Code:
    display: :0.0  screen: 0
    OpenGL vendor string: ATI Technologies Inc.
    OpenGL renderer string: ATI Radeon HD 4670
    OpenGL version string: 2.1.8087 Release
    Well I have a newer Version but the same problem: Compiz works, but not Videos, only after deactivating it.

(Okay the problem is not very bad, compiz is not a must have, only a gimick)

Greets

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

I had no problems getting 2d to work from the kubuntu live cd for karmic and lucid. This means using the open sourced Radeon driver.

3d and composite effects were a little trickier, in karmic requiring use of the xorg-edgers ppa repository drivers, which required installing a 2.6.32 kernel from the mainline guys. Overall very easy to do, but a little bit more efforts.
    I've repeated the same steps with a lucid kubuntu install, but I've still not gotten any 3d stuff to work, I think that the dri2 stuff isn't falling into line with the rc1 (2.6.33.something) kernel that I've installed.

Still all 2d stuff works great right out of the box, and peforms really well, with both karmic and lucid.

I'd make links to the xorg-edgers and mainline guys, but I've already made these comments a couple of times and so I know that it will be easy for you to find this information. Just one word to the wise, make sure that you upgrade the kernel, before you enable your kde 3d effects (likely the same warning applies to compiz) as it might prevent starting of your desktop, which can be tricky to fix.)

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I am using 64bit everything, on an i7 processor on a Dell studio XPS16, with their HD4670 1GB video card.

J
    Last edited by jaxxed; December 22nd, 2009 at 04:02 AM. Reason: how about I mentiond which driver I used