Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: GRUB- error: no such partition grub rescue>

Beans

Re: GRUB- error: no such partition grub rescue>

Yet again, I am impressed by the real-time response, drs!

I'm restoring from GHOST image now. I'm cautiously optimistic that the image has the MBR; it claims it will overwrite the entire disk and put back three partitions - one was ntfs, one was the Dell untility partition,and another (sorry - forgot to note).

On a separate happy note, I have now successfully created two fully functional Ubuntu 10.10 USB sticks. I gave one to my daughter to use while I struggle with a Vundo variant virus that was the original cause of the problems with her computer that led me to try to put Ubuntu on a stick. She actually likes having a complete computer in her pocket! She can surf, do her homework, print, etc. If we could get iTunes to work she probably would be ready to abandon Windoze forever ...

So, if I need to restore the MBR via Ubuntu, that will be easy via the stick.

I've been working with Sophos tech support on this pesky virus. They did not have a signature for it - it puts copies of itself into the system as dlls of the form mlmnlm.dll, hhggty.dll, etc. They do various mischief such as redirection, suppress malwarebytes, etc. I sent them a sample and they have produced a sig that will supposedly remove it. Before they got back to me, I was determined to remove the infection manually, and via the Ubuntu stick I deleted all instances of the .dlls I could find. But, I cut too deep and removed part of Windoze's brain, and now it is pretty sick. (But at least free from virus! ). So, I'm restoring from the GHOST backup, which is infected, but now that Sophos can remove the virus, I think I see a path to victory.

Restore is running, will take about 2 hours. Please stand by ...

Thanks,

Steve

Beans

Hi all;

Well, as expected, the latest version of Symantec GHOST (not to be confused with Norton GHOST), does a complete restore of the entire disk, partitions and MBR, everything. All Linux partitions are gone.

I hope everyone understands that my problems were totally a result of my own ignorance, and Ubuntu was blameless!

Thanks in particular to drs for patient hand-holding.

Steve

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Thank You

Beans

Talking Re: GRUB- error: no such partition grub rescue>

GOT IT!!!
    When you boot with the Ubuntu Live CD and delete a partition, it shows up as "Free Space". However, this doesn't seem to get the job done. If you boot with the Windows installation CD and you delete the Ubuntu partition, it will erase GRUB and the GRUB rescue.

Beans

Hello folks!

I need some help on this solution/problem.

I had Win XP and Ubuntu 10.04 or 10.10 (not sure) And the grubloader.

Iv'r done like everybody else and have the startup stop at
    error: no such partition
    grub rescue>

If I write anything there i get "Unknown Command"

I just want to go back to the Windows XP bootloader.

So I tried the usb windows rescue and write fixmbr.
    The rescue sys it fixes the mbr and all is well. I type exit and take the usb drive out.
    Computer reboots and to my disappointment i'm stuck at
    error: no such partition
    grub rescue>

What should I do? I'm feeling a bit desperate.

My computer is a MSI Wind U100. So it have a win rescue partition that still want on the computer. Then it is two partitions one C: with windos and one D: with files and such. Linux was installed on this partition.

I'm stuck on using a usb drive because this computer doesn't have a cd/dvd drive and I don't have one for USB. But it shouldn't make a difference thinks I.

Thanks on forehand

Beans

I've restored Windows in the past from this error. I can't remember the exact phrasing of some of the windows messages but hopefully this will get you there.

Insert the XP install CD and boot from it
    Let it load all the drivers etc
    When it gets to the point where it asks you what partition you want to install on select the partition that already has XP installed
    When it says 'this will erase the existing windows setup' (I can't remember the exact words) then press F3 and re-boot
    When I've done this in the past it's recovered the windows install

Beans

im trying to boot Ubuntu from my portable hdd - but im running
    Windows Vista and when i try to boot i get the - error: no such partition message -
    how am i suppose to setup the boot menu ?

Beans

Exclamation Re: GRUB- error: no such partition grub rescue>

i have formated the partition on which ubuntu was installed ...now i am unable to boot my win 7.
    only message i get is
    grub loading
    error:no such partition
    grub rescue.

please tell me what to do.. to get back to windows again

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by abhinay.pandey View Post
    i have formated the partition on which ubuntu was installed ...now i am unable to boot my win 7.
    only message i get is
    grub loading
    error:no such partition
    grub rescue.

please tell me what to do.. to get back to windows again
    What has most likely happened is that the MBR is still pointing to your now nonexistent Ubuntu partition.

From a Ubuntu LiveCD, you can point the MBR boot information to your Windows partition by partially installing lilo.

You have to know which partition your Windows boot files are on. Normally they are on sda1. The following commands will assume this. If you know they are not, change "sda1" to the correct partition.

Code:
    sudo apt-get install lilo
    sudo lilo -M /dev/sda MBR
    Just run those two commands. Don't run any other lilo commands.

If it doesn't work, please go to the following link. Download and run the boot info script and post the contents of RESULTS.txt.
    http://bootinfoscript.sourceforge.net
    GRUB2

Retired.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by leef View Post
    It might be different in grub2 instead of rootnoverify (hd0,0), try "set root=(hd0,0)" sorry about that, maybe if that doesn't get it maybe try repairing windows with the windows installation media and then worry about reinstall grub when ubuntu is reinstalled?
    i tried this and set root=(hd0,0) worked but then i tried the makeactive command and it said unknown command please help

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast