Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Graphical Issue Upon Suspend/Logout

Beans

Re: Graphical Issue Upon Suspend/Logout

A work around that's working for me is to hibernate instead of suspend. Ugly but works for now. We need this fixed though!

Interesting. If you drop to a (fuzzy) command console with Ctrl-Alt-F1 and do a hibernate --force you'll hibernate. When you come back you'll be placed in this command console unfuzzy. You can Ctrl-Alt-F7 to get back to the GUI.

It must be something when booting up that resets the monitor such that there is no shakiness as the grub menu comes up clean. Whatever that resetting code is needs to be put into the driver when the user suspends or goes to a command console or basically when the video mode changes. Nvidia engineers need to fix this! How do we let them know about this important data point?
    Last edited by defaria; February 7th, 2010 at 06:20 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

hey guys, the fix is here!!!!! the new 195.36.03 drivers fix this problem!!!!
    well, at least according to nvidia, and another user who says it works for him.. i might as well try it out right?

you can download it here:
    ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/

now if anybody could give this noob here a little walkthrough on how to install this thing, i'd very much appreciate it... seeing as nvidia makes their driver installation very noob unfriendly.

btw, i got the link from the nvidia forums... from here:
    http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...=141204&page=3

EDIT: tried it out... it works!!!
    now, when i close the laptop and open it again (suspend), i get no more fuzziness!!
    But i still get the garbage graphics on shutdown splash screen... i mean, it's not THAT big a deal, because it doesn't really affect functionality or anything, but it's not exactly eye-pleasing or attractive to look at...
    oh, and i also get this green nvidia splash screen for a split second right before the login screen.. but again, it's not that big a deal. it's only for a split second..
    but it's still something nvidia should fix so their product will look polished and work like it should..
    Last edited by sleepee; February 9th, 2010 at 08:50 AM.

Beans

Yippie! I'm up too.

Here's a tip: Sometimes I boot (well my desktop but I guess this could also happen on the laptop) and get a dialog box saying there was a problem and Ubuntu is running in low graphics mode. You can start a root shell to fix things. So I put these NVIDIA...run files in /root so I can install the driver again.

Now onto other problems like:

. Getting the mic to work
    . Getting sound out the HDMI port
    . Getting Bluetooth stereo headset to work
    . Getting the finger print reader to work
    . Getting the TV tuner to work

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by defaria View Post
    Yippie! I'm up too.

Here's a tip: Sometimes I boot (well my desktop but I guess this could also happen on the laptop) and get a dialog box saying there was a problem and Ubuntu is running in low graphics mode. You can start a root shell to fix things. So I put these NVIDIA...run files in /root so I can install the driver again.

Now onto other problems like:

. Getting the mic to work
    . Getting sound out the HDMI port
    . Getting Bluetooth stereo headset to work
    . Getting the finger print reader to work
    . Getting the TV tuner to work
    still no luck with that bluetooth i see.. or with anything else apparently.. i really wish i could help. it sucks being a noob though..
    and you got a fingerprint reader on your dv7!? im jealous lol!

anyway, just out of curiosity, do you also still get the garbage graphics on the shutdown ubuntu splash screen?? or is that just me?
    btw, there were like 3 .run files that nvidia had there..
    pkg0.run, pkg1.run, and pkg2.run
    would you happen to know if there was a specific one we were supposed to choose?? because i only installed pkg0.run

Beans

Yeah I definitely added the fingerprint reader. Works like a champ under Windows 7. They even have something where you can register your finger print for web sites. So I just bop over to my WF bank site, slide my finger and I'm in. Definitely cool. If I do get the finger print reader working in Ubuntu I wonder if it'll only be for log in...

Yes I still get garbage at the bottom of the X logout screen. It looks a little different but really who cares?

I believe I read (what the README? Who woulda thunk it!) where it said that the .2 was the one to use or that it would work with anything. The .2 was bigger. It worked fine for me...

Ok, some research here. According to ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Li...DME/README.txt under Chapter 3 Selecting and Downloading the NVIDIA Packages for Your System it states:

The package suffix ('-pkg#') is used to distinguish between packages containing the same driver, but with different precompiled kernel interfaces. The file with the highest package number is suitable for most installations.

So I went with the .2 package...

I also have the webcam and internal mic. I wanted to use Skype. On my desktop my external mic doesn't work at all. On the laptop, initially the mic worked but in an effort to resolve other sound issues I updated that driver. The mic broke! Again, in Windows everything works fine. I'm no Windows aficionado or zealot. I'm a Linux guy. And I want to jettison Windows. But come on people, you need to get up to the (I hate to say it) quality of Windows first. Surely we can kick their a$$es! Let's get this stuff working!

Beans

OK so having no more fuzzy problems is great. Now I can kinda use Linux most of the time. The things that are keeping me from removing the Windows 7 installation are getting smaller and smaller. Now what I'd really like to get working are:

. HDMI sound - video works but sound does not go down the HDMI cable
    . TV Tuner. I ordered the card. Works in Windows - doesn't work in Ubuntu.

The other things I'm struggling with are the finger print reader and headphones - neither are show stoppers - both would be nice however.

Back to the issue at hand however. From what I've read somewhere else, having sound going down the HDMI cable is the responsibility of the NVidia drivers(?). I'm kinda surprised by that and would have though it was a sound driver issue. In any event, HDMI sound is broken. If it's a task for the NVidia driver then that NVidia driver is broken.

Thoughts.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

I have noticed some of these issues have been addressed in 10.04 Beta 1

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234