Thread: Iso testing Question

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Question Iso testing Question

I am new to ISO testing. My question is which option should be used. Installing on a the physical machine or using a virtual environment?

Which in the preferred method.

Wanting to help out the community and I am not sure how to get. This seems some what easy and very needed way to help.

Nathan aka Yotux

Beans
    Distro

Re: Iso testing Question

Hi,

Not sure what everyone has done (and there are some variants !!)

I partitioned off 12GB for 10.04 and installed it onto it's own partition - The installer is savvy enough to see that I already have a swap area, so uses that.

I also have a seperate /home partition - I rsynced that over to the 10.04 area, as was advised that allowing it to 'play' with a copy of my ~home area is safer than allowing it on to the one I use for work.

Regards,

Phill.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

How much space can you make on your HDD and how much knowledge do you have helps you to answer your question.
    One of the reasons to test is to make sure the final LiveCD works.
    I have WinXP and tried dual boot with 9.04. I liked it and within a few weeks made a new partition for 9.10. I liked that more and removed 9.04 leaving me room to try 10.04. I only do full install. I rarely use XP and haven't used 9.10 since going to 10.04 but keep it around just in case.
    It is a learning experience for me. At least in the worst case I can use the LiveCD to get to the internet and try to fix whatever comes up.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by yotux View Post
    I am new to ISO testing. My question is which option should be used. Installing on a the physical machine or using a virtual environment?

Which in the preferred method.
    Testing in a virtual environment is a great way to help out, but unfortunately it does not actually test hardware configurations. So if you just want to test ISO image integrity, the installer, and specific programs it's a great way to go. But if you have the extra hardware or room on your hard drive for another partition, we always can use more folks testing on real hardware to shake out issues with video drivers, ect....
    -----

Community Manager @ DigitalOcean
    You're more likely to get answers from me over on AskUbuntu these days.

Beans
    Distro

Smile Re: Iso testing Question

Thank you for the quick replies. I would like to help out with both fronts so it sounds like there is more data with the physical install. I have a separate home partition and will try the rsync options there were mentioned above to copy data.

Thanks for the quick replies.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by PaulInBHC View Post
    How much space can you make on your HDD and how much knowledge do you have helps you to answer your question.
    One of the reasons to test is to make sure the final LiveCD works.
    I have WinXP and tried dual boot with 9.04. I liked it and within a few weeks made a new partition for 9.10. I liked that more and removed 9.04 leaving me room to try 10.04. I only do full install. I rarely use XP and haven't used 9.10 since going to 10.04 but keep it around just in case.
    It is a learning experience for me. At least in the worst case I can use the LiveCD to get to the internet and try to fix whatever comes up.
    As noted with Virtualisation and testing - most hard drives these days can spare 10 - 15 GB of room. I have Win (Vista) - which i never use but keep to help M$ users, 9.10 for just in case 10.04 borks on me big-time and 10.04.
    I gradually upgraded my 9.04 to 9.10, and having learned more about ext4 and grub2 both are now installed as a true 9.10. For any & all testing - you must be prepared to loose everything. So, don't store anything important on your 10.04 area. I backup my 10.04 as per a normal installation before i do any major brain surgery on it. It's a small install and takes a cple of minutes to do.
    I'll repeat about not sharing your 'production' /home area - just rsync it over - that'll give you all your bookmarks, logins etc for FireFox, Pidgin etc. - It also kindly took over my complete desktop for me.

I keep my blog, in my Sig updated - but, there's not too much to report - 10.04 is running quite happily, I make a point of booting back to 9.10 just for the updates & ensure none of the updates cause any problems, as 9.10 is still young

/edit Once you know your partitons for /home and the 10.04 using rsync is easy - Post them back & I'll happily post you the instructions

Regards,

Phill.
    Last edited by phillw; December 19th, 2009 at 08:57 PM. Reason: rsync

Beans
    Distro

Making Room

My current setup I have some extra space for store of VM's. When I installed I also used LVM setup. This means that I have a seperate boot partition. Can I shrink the LVM and get the 60GB of storage to install?

Is having this other boot partion going to cause me problems when testing?

Any advance is welcome.

My partition lay out:

/Boot 100mb

Lvm

/root 20GB
    /home 100GB
    /swap 4GB
    /stores 60GB

Was going to take the 60GB partition out.

Beans

Re: Making Room

What bootloader are you using?
    Dell 480 XPS 3G ram Quad Core 2.40GHz, Radeon HD 2400 PRO, Audigy1, 3x320G HDD, 320G External, Debian Testing for use, Debian Squeeze for secure use, Debian Sid for FUN

Beans
    Distro

grub2

Beans

You shouldn't have a problem. I would install the grub from 10.04 as it is newer - 1.97 instead of 1.97beta4 - on your partition. Even if your OS is screwed (it is testing) grub should be fine.
    Dell 480 XPS 3G ram Quad Core 2.40GHz, Radeon HD 2400 PRO, Audigy1, 3x320G HDD, 320G External, Debian Testing for use, Debian Squeeze for secure use, Debian Sid for FUN