Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Seemingly random freezing (Possibly graphics related)

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Seemingly random freezing (Possibly graphics related)

I'm curious about the "magic key" seqeunce, too. One at a time or all at once?

I've been having this same issue with onboard intel graphics chip in a Dell machine. Couldn't use 9.10 at all. Been running 9.04 but still occassional freeze-ups. Read about a bios setting I'm going to try tomorrow that some folks are having success with on Dell machines.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

tried to hold alt and hit sysreq. it brings up a take screen shot window. if type in reisub and hit enter it saves a screen shot called reisub.png but does little else.
    so what am i supposed to be doing?

Beans

I don't know which alt you used, I had to use the left one. Press and hold alt + sysrq. While holding those two down, do REISUB one letter at a time. When you get to I think "I", the screen should go black.

Beans
    Distro

Confirming that only the left "alt" key works for me, too. I couldn't figure out why this wasn't working and it was because I was using the right "alt" key.
    Hold down left alt and sysrq while typing one letter at a time pausing a few seconds between letters. A full descripton of all the possibilities here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_SysRq_key

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

went to
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_SysRq_key

very nice so you hold alt+sysreq then hit each of the others with a wait. bit tough to do. hold down left alt with left pinkie and sysreq with right pinkie then hit the r e i s u b one at a time with other fingers i quess. will try it next time i am at a linux system. I have a machine running a cctv video surveilance siftware but its getting crashes in the vis and recorded over 9000 files of blank video. Argh it takes forever (over 5 minutes) to open up a browser window to see the files. I like the stability of linux but browsing files in linux is SLOW.

Beans
    Distro

I'm a musician so the fingering was easy...

There are clearly a lot of stray issues with this version - the forums are peppered with problems seemingly related to graphic cards, sounds cards, I'm having a problem that looks like it's related to my modem but probably isn't (the "serial8250 too much work for irq17" issue). It's overwhelming trying to track down the causes of things that weren't issues in 8.04 or even 8.10 but I hate to go back.
    On the other hand - to get any work done just go back to 8.04 - it was stable and worked with most chips and cards. There are tons of problems on Karmic with certain Dell machnines (mine) and certain Intel video chips (mine) - search the forums - some fixes help (like on a Dell Dimension go into BIOS and legacy settings and increase video memory to 8 meg) a little but even then occasional freeze ups (Firefox, anybody?). It's a crazy time in Ubuntu land right now but I think it might be worth riding out.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12