This is a post to try to help both myself and others that want to run Ubuntu on this bargain laptop, as I couldn't find much regarding this hardware, and several critical components does not work.
The most critical functions that do not work out of the box in 9.10 daily is:
- wireless network - the Atheros Communications Inc. AR928X Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) (rev 01)
- wired network - Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5764M Gigabit Ethernet PCIe (rev 10)
- Acer shortcuts and keys - the special keys on the keyboard and shortcut keys does not work
What I have tried so far:
As a tip to others that need network on this laptop: I use my HTC Touch HD as a USB network card to connect to the internet. Works out of the box, but can be potentially expensive depending on your data plan.
To get the wireless network running, I have tried the following:
- installed updated wireless drivers from linuxwireless.org
- installed linux-backports-modules-karmic
Even though it seems that the ath9k driver should support the card, it will not show up under my configured interfaces, and the output from sudo lshw -C network gives
To get the wired networking to run, I have tried the following:Code:*-network UNCLAIMED description: Network controller product: AR928X Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) vendor: Atheros Communications Inc. physical id: 0 bus info: pci@0000:05:00.0 version: 01 width: 64 bits clock: 33MHz capabilities: pm msi pciexpress msix cap_list configuration: latency=0 resources: memory:ba000000-ba00ffff
To get the shortcut keys working, I have tried the following:
I will keep updating this til I have a fully working system. If anyone has tips and / or tricks and want to share them, I will add them to this post with references where needed.