Thread: No Wi-Fi: ThinkPad SL410 2874-32U with Ubuntu 9.10 x64

Beans

Question No Wi-Fi: ThinkPad SL410 2874-32U with Ubuntu 9.10 x64

I just installed Ubuntu 9.10 x64 on a ThinkPad SL410 2874-32U and am not seeing any wireless functionality. All of the information I've seen on this machine mentions 802.11b/g/n, but never lists a brand or model of the wireless adapter.

My skill level is such that I don't normally have difficulty setting up wireless in Ubuntu on a machine on which the Wi-Fi is directly supported, or supported with restricted drivers. If NDISwrapper or another manual approach is necessary, I hope to find step-by-step instructions for the particular machine.

Alternately, has anyone had good luck with a particular ExpressCard/34 Wi-Fi adapter?

Any help is very much appreciated.

r.a.parks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: No Wi-Fi: ThinkPad SL410 2874-32U with Ubuntu 9.10 x64

Quote Originally Posted by raparks View Post
    this machine mentions 802.11b/g/n, but never lists a brand or model of the wireless adapter.

If NDISwrapper or another manual approach is necessary, I hope to find step-by-step instructions for the particular machine.
    You can find out the details on the wireless adapter with the terminal (Applications-Accessories-Terminal) command
    Code:
    lspci | grep -i -E ethernet\|wireless
    If you post back the output, someone can probably suggest the correct steps to take to activate the wireless.

I recommend you use ndiswrapper only as a last resort; here's a step-by-step guide with expected outputs: [SOLVED] How to activate WG311v3 (or any ndiswrapper or native) wireless

Please post back here with more info if you require any additional assistance.
    Last edited by prshah; December 20th, 2009 at 06:27 AM. Reason: Corrected "-e" to "-E" (in bold)
    Cheers,PRShah
    Make your own: Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Mythbuntu All-in-One Live DVD
    "I never make mistakes; I thought I did, once.. but I was wrong."

Beans

Question Re: No Wi-Fi: ThinkPad SL410 2874-32U with Ubuntu 9.10 x64

Quote Originally Posted by prshah View Post
    Code:
    lspci | grep -i -e ethernet\|wireless
    That command didn't produce any results for me, however when I ran lspci by itself, I believe that the following two lines are the relevant information.

05:00.0 Network controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. Device 8172 (rev 10)
    08:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8101E/RTL8102E PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller (rev 02)

Thanks,
    r.a.parks

Beans

Talking Re: No Wi-Fi: ThinkPad SL410 2874-32U with Ubuntu 9.10 x64

Ok, I found the answer.

'mrgoose' provided a great step-by-step here: http://forum.novatech.co.uk/showpost...7&postcount=10. Unfortunately he may have linked to the 32-bit version of the file while describing the 64-bit version. I downloaded the following to my desktop and then followed his instructions, with a satisfactory outcome: http://launchpadlibrarian.net/340904...9_64bit.tar.gz.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: No Wi-Fi: ThinkPad SL410 2874-32U with Ubuntu 9.10 x64

Quote Originally Posted by raparks View Post
    That command didn't produce any results for me
    Oops, my mistake; the "-e" was supposed to be "-E" (now corrected in original post as well).
    Cheers,PRShah
    Make your own: Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Mythbuntu All-in-One Live DVD
    "I never make mistakes; I thought I did, once.. but I was wrong."