Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Why is your operating system better?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Why is your operating system better?

Ubuntu may be easy for most of people here, but what about the consumers who want a very easy OS?
    I know you...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Sirin
    Ubuntu may be easy for most of people here, but what about the consumers who want a very easy OS?
    They can have http://www.system76.com

Most of the "difficulty" with Ubuntu is installing it and configuring it.

Beans

Ubuntu is not better than Windows, it's different.

Windows XP is better than Windows ME.

Mac OS X is different from ubuntu.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by aysiu
    They can have http://www.system76.com

Most of the "difficulty" with Ubuntu is installing it and configuring it.
    When they go buy a unsupported webcam from best buy, is linux still easy to use?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by bjweeks
    When they go buy a unsupported webcam from best buy, is linux still easy to use?
    My wife had this same problem buying a printer for her Mac Powerbook... or trying to find a Mac-compatible non-iPod MP3 player. You do research if you're not using Windows. That's what happens when you have a small marketshare, no matter how "easy" your OS is to use.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by aysiu
    My wife had this same problem buying a printer for her Mac Powerbook... or trying to find a Mac-compatible non-iPod MP3 player. You do research if you're not using Windows. That's what happens when you have a small marketshare, no matter how "easy" your OS is to use.
    That's what makes windows better to the average user.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Quote Originally Posted by pianoboy3333
    Why do you think your os is better? I'm conducting a poll on this question, email your response at whyisyourosbetter@gmail.com. Respond with any operating system that you think is the best that you use. You can also respond on this thread.
    My os is "better" for me because I feel more happiness with it. And some say happiness leads to productivity...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by adamb10
    IMHO I think Mac OS X is the best OS. It's beautiful and easy to use. Not to mention it has Unix inside.
    Exactly my thought.
    Have a good HowTo? Add it to the Wiki. | Wireless problems? Read this. | Do not use Automatix! | Please, before you post, use the search function.

Me: Launchpad/Wiki.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Because:

First it was grumpy, which was good.
    Then it was hoary, which was better.
    Then it was breezy, better still.
    Soon it will be dapper, better than better!
    The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Thumbs down Re: Why is your operating system better?

Ubuntu Linux, and frankly any Linux based OS is better IMHO than all the "others". The core of it being GPL'd, This protects the software making sure it's free as in speech, and since free copying is allowed, free as in beer as well. One company can not just take it, build on it, and not share the code (as is being done with BSD code).

In terms of performance, I have a 64-bit and 32-bit Ubuntu Dapper running. I can take the source for one app, and have it compile natively on both versions (ok not everytime, but so far 9/10 times =) ). There is no lack of 64-bit apps, it lets me get the best out of my hardware. This could be done on other OS's of course, but with the GNU tools and dapper packages, it's trivial to setup a compile environment that doesn't send me to the poor house.

It's also nice to have an OS that I can potentially sell. Windows license AFAIK are not transferable. If you can't sell it, you don't own it in my book.

Ok yes, this was horribly biased. You asked for opinions, I delivered just that.
    The idea of copyright did not exist in ancient times, when authors frequently copied other authors at length in works of non-fiction. This practice was useful, and is the only way many authors' works have survived even in part. -- Richard Stallman

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast