Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: No Ubuntu for Dell Inspiron 1100?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: No Ubuntu for Dell Inspiron 1100?

Quote Originally Posted by shakma View Post
    . . . 9.10 installed much easier than 9.04 . . . But black screens are a problem until you set the xorg.conf.
    I used a U9.04 USB Live for my install to another 8 GB USB using a Dell university computer -
    then booted it up on a different machine - my Sharp laptop with a messed up Windows XP OS.
    I was amazed that the Dell-made USB OS booted up at all on the laptop.

Anyhoo . . . I used U9.04 first for a netboot reason . . . but then had a 1GB USB which is all the U9.04 Live USB needed . . .

It seems after these posts that maybe it would be worth it to upgrade to 9.10 -
    either by synaptic package manager upgrade (?) or a whole new fresh start of a U9.10 Live version.

Thanks for the thread and posts.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by shakma View Post
    Quick note: I have distorted sound at start-up, too. However, I play mp3's and radio streams all the time. I'm listening to live radio right now, and my wife listened for 2 hours to a live streaming program last night. Not one glitch. Don't know what's up with the start up sound... Do you have this issue, david?

Glad to hear of your successful install. Long live the 1100!!!

Peace.
    I have not noticed any distortions in my sound at start up or any other time. However I can say that I am able to play media files, dvd and music, and it works just fine. I do have trouble though streaming flash video, but if I go ahead and download and play the flash from my hard drive it works just fine that way.
    Last edited by david2m3h; February 5th, 2010 at 03:04 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by jenaniston View Post
    I used a U9.04 USB Live for my install to another 8 GB USB using a Dell university computer -
    then booted it up on a different machine - my Sharp laptop with a messed up Windows XP OS.
    I was amazed that the Dell-made USB OS booted up at all on the laptop.

Anyhoo . . . I used U9.04 first for a netboot reason . . . but then had a 1GB USB which is all the U9.04 Live USB needed . . .

It seems after these posts that maybe it would be worth it to upgrade to 9.10 -
    either by synaptic package manager upgrade (?) or a whole new fresh start of a U9.10 Live version.

Thanks for the thread and posts.
    I would recommend you do a fresh install, you will likely get better results.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12