Thread: clean install

Beans

clean install

I have a friend that is a computer illiterate. I mean a complete non computer user the kind that with an intrepid on her pc she deleted her network manager from her top panel and her windows list from her bottom one and swears she did nothing......sheesh!
    Well on to my question.
    pentium 4 about a gig and a half of ram with an intel 01 graphics on the motherboard.
    i was thinking of putting jaunty on it since that is what i use and i can set it up like mine so i can help her on the phone easier.
    question 1. can i copy my ppa's and keys on to a thumb and put them in for her?
    or do i have to go hunt for them from scratch I would just love to simply or some how just throw my system on to her hdd.
    Thanks for the help.
    D

Beans

Re: clean install

never did this but clone it to her hdd? is that something that actually is possible?
    Thanks for the help.
    D

Beans

not sure if this is what your after but you might want to check out a package called PartImage, which can take your whole hda into an image file, then you can restore into your friend's hda, so she will have an exactly same system as yours.

Beans
    Hidden!

aptonCD to transfer apps and dependencies. I have used it to transfer Jaunty to jaunty.

http://aptoncd.sourceforge.net/
    "The key to everything is patience. You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it" .... A. Glasow

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by letsflyakite View Post
    not sure if this is what your after but you might want to check out a package called PartImage, which can take your whole hda into an image file, then you can restore into your friend's hda, so she will have an exactly same system as yours.
    The challenge will be the hardware differences between both systems.
    "The key to everything is patience. You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it" .... A. Glasow

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by raymondh View Post
    The challenge will be the hardware differences between both systems.
    No it wont. Ubuntu detects the hardware on every boot and loads the correct drivers (unlike Windows which would fail miserably). I've moved an install between different machines countless times with no problems.

The only thing you have to do is disable the Graphics drivers first if going from ATI to nVidia or vice versa (you can enable the correct driver afterwards).
    Cheesemill

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesemill View Post
    No it wont. Ubuntu detects the hardware on every boot and loads the correct drivers (unlike Windows which would fail miserably). I've moved an install between different machines countless times with no problems.

The only thing you have to do is disable the Graphics drivers first if going from ATI to nVidia or vice versa (you can enable the correct driver afterwards).
    You may be right, cheesemill. But I had challenges with the wifi (finally resorting to ndiswrapper) and the touchpad moving a cloned install from a dell laptop to an HP netbook. maybe I was just unlucky

Regards,

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

You could also use Remastersys to create an installable .iso from your current setup.
    Cheesemill

Beans

I made the .iso of my system, but it is 1.2 GB, do I need a dvd r and how do I know what kind -r +r, how do I find out what type I have I have never burned a dvd before.
    Thanks for the help.
    D