Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Permanently Buy a Domain Name?

Beans

Permanently Buy a Domain Name?

Hi all,

Where is the official place to permanently buy away a domain name? And how much would this cost, usually?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Permanently Buy a Domain Name?

It depends. Different domains go to different sites.
    .i coi rodo

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I seriously doubt you can permanently buy a domain. (unless you are someone like whitehouse.gov or something like that) Show me the goods!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Mike'sHardLinux View Post
    I seriously doubt you can permanently buy a domain. (unless you are someone like whitehouse.gov or something like that) Show me the goods!
    I would agree, but somewhere on Wikipedia it says Facebook "purchased" their domain for $200,000.

Beans

You cannot buy a domain name forever, you have to re-new it for a price every year.
    Ubuntu Corner - My personal Ubuntu based blog.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Gias Kay View Post
    I would agree, but somewhere on Wikipedia it says Facebook "purchased" their domain for $200,000.
    They bought the domain from someone for that price, because facebook.com was not original domain it was thefacebook.com

You can re-new for many years ahead, so technically you can pay a few thousand to own it for a couple of hundred years. But nothing is permanent, maybe we won't have domain names a few decades from now.

Beans

Would the price become behemoth as your site become more popular and famous? Like how much is Google or Yahoo! paying for their domain name each year...?

Beans

The price will be the same to renew each year. ICANN is in charge of all domains, read on it from here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interne...es_and_Numbers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

A domain name is not something that can be actually owned, in the sense of tangible property. As far as I know, domains are handled by specific dns servers, so whenever you try to access someadress.com, your primary dns server asks the dns servers that manage the .com addresses for the IP address of someadress.com

So you're not actually paying for something that can be owned, you're paying for a service.

(is this correct??)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by PrimoTurbo View Post
    They bought the domain from someone for that price, because facebook.com was not original domain it was thefacebook.com

You can re-new for many years ahead, so technically you can pay a few thousand to own it for a couple of hundred years. But nothing is permanent, maybe we won't have domain names a few decades from now.
    I think 10 years is the ICANN maximum.
    Proud GNU/Linux zealot and lover of penguins
    "Value your freedom or you will lose it, teaches history." --Richard Stallman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast