Thread: Learn kernel programming.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Learn kernel programming.

Hello friends,
    I guess this question might be asked before also. Ok. Let me put it this way, I have read the books Linux in a nutshell,Linux kernel architecture,Linux device drivers(reading it now),but when i look at the kernel source code,i still wonder what the heck is going on. Its simple i want to learn kernel programming and contribute some code,it wud be helpful for both of us. But i don't know where is the head and where is the tail of that kernel. And if u are going to say "try bugfixing",plz don't,i dont know what that program does clearly,how can i fix its code. Seriously guys,do help me,i am using and working on Linux since 4yrs,so i know much abt the Linux box!!! do reply. Adios.
    Love how the world of Linux is so awesome, where one can just see how its done, its like peeking inside a civilization and seeing how they work in their day to day life, how they progress, how they evolve, how they communicate...!!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Learn kernel programming.

I don't remember very much, but since no-one else has replied, I figured I'd give you a start.

When I took a class on kernel programming, we wrote very simple kernel modules. They are probably the easiest way to do anything kernel-related, and teach you the basics without forcing you to get into the really complicated stuff. This website is likely to be a huge help to you: http://www.tldp.org/LDP/lkmpg/2.6/html/index.html

Unfortunately, I can't find any of my class notes and don't remember any specifics, really, but at least this should give you a stepping stone.

Good luck!

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by akshay.sulakhe View Post
    Hello friends,
    I guess this question might be asked before also. Ok. Let me put it this way, I have read the books Linux in a nutshell,Linux kernel architecture,Linux device drivers(reading it now),but when i look at the kernel source code,i still wonder what the heck is going on. Its simple i want to learn kernel programming and contribute some code,it wud be helpful for both of us. But i don't know where is the head and where is the tail of that kernel. And if u are going to say "try bugfixing",plz don't,i dont know what that program does clearly,how can i fix its code. Seriously guys,do help me,i am using and working on Linux since 4yrs,so i know much abt the Linux box!!! do reply. Adios.
    Knowing everything about Linux and nothing about C gets you nowhere. Learn C from the ground up and then get yourself into the kernel.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Back when I was doing kernel programming, I would have died had it not been for this site: http://lxr.linux.no

It has a huge collection of kernel source versions and it's all searchable. Want to find out where "fork" is implemented? Just search for it. Indespensable.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thanks...will go thru the code...
    Love how the world of Linux is so awesome, where one can just see how its done, its like peeking inside a civilization and seeing how they work in their day to day life, how they progress, how they evolve, how they communicate...!!!