Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm a straight up noob and I am about to make my laptop a duel boot.

Beans

I'm a straight up noob and I am about to make my laptop a duel boot.

I just want to have full disclosure with my new friends from Ubuntu Linux, I have had 4 beers and I am planning on having at least a couple more.

I have a HP DV6775us and I am about to save some files and run disk defrag and attempt to install x64 unbuntu. I have been jumping around some threads for a while and was wondering does anyone have a similar setup? Are there anythings I should be prepared for other than a bottle opener?

I once installed Gentoo from scratch about 4 years ago and it worked fine for a few days till I broke xorg.

Beans

Re: I'm a straight up noob and I am about to make my laptop a duel boot.

Well, getting Ubuntu to work typically involves far less effort than making Gentoo work, so I doubt you'll have problems. The installer, Ubiquity, is so easy to work with, that you should be able to handle it completely drunk.

Beans

Nice I was hoping so! I am just working a buzz anyway. But yes Gentoo was my first experience with Linux and I have no Idea why I did that but it was hard. One computer with the how to doc up the other compiling.....lol.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

gentoo is a very powerful distro with the maximum user control so set up would be very difficult but ubuntu will setup easily for dual boot just choose the correct partition option when you are at the partitioning stage. If you are unsure then use windows storage manager to resize and create a partition for your linux.
    then boot up the iso and install linux to the chosen partition, and install the bootloader to the mbr.
    hope this help!

Beans

Thanks I am deleting some old junk to make more room then defrag then install attempt...

Beans

will it make a /home dir automatically during install?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Yes it will, but your best bet since your somewhat experienced is to make a "/" (root) a "/home" and a "/swap" partition.. Use the manual partition option and those 3 and don't be afraid to use ext4 it's super stable now.

Enjoy Ubuntu!
    FIC K8-800T AMD64 3200+ 2GB PC3200 GeForce 6800GT Mandriva 2010 KDE+Compiz+Emerald
    MSI K9N2GM AMD 9950BE 4GB DDR2-800 GeForce 8200 10.10 WUSB600N
    Acer 6920 Core 2 Duo 4GB GeForce 9500GS 10.04 Ubuntu User #17586

Beans

it's been a while JB is that during install or after...... could I do that?

Beans

still defraggin' wow didnt realize I had so much on this drive.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

NP, since you mentioned defraging, I assume (Always dangerous lol) that you need to re-size a NTFS partition to make room for some Linux ones., So boot from your LiveCD, go to System, Administration, "Gparted" and you should see a screen something like this:
    You get there by right clicking on the partition you want to resize/shrink.

Oh, first Please backup all your mission critical data!, then resize with gparted as shown in the screenshot.

When this is finished, you will have free space to work with. Note: a Physical HD can only have 4 Primary partitions, no worries as Linux can install on a Logical partition (except the swap partition).

So Reboot with your LiveCD in and choose, "install Ubuntu", follow the prompts until you get to the partitioning page, choose "Manual Partition" right click on the free space on your drive, create a "/" (root) partition, a "/home" partition (Both about the same size) and a "/swap" partition (About 1 to 1.5 times your RAM)

Let the installer finish, and you should be booting into Ubuntu.

If this sounds to complicated, post back and I will be happy to try and answer your questions.
    FIC K8-800T AMD64 3200+ 2GB PC3200 GeForce 6800GT Mandriva 2010 KDE+Compiz+Emerald
    MSI K9N2GM AMD 9950BE 4GB DDR2-800 GeForce 8200 10.10 WUSB600N
    Acer 6920 Core 2 Duo 4GB GeForce 9500GS 10.04 Ubuntu User #17586

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast