Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Swap Partition Not Automatically Activated After Jaunty Upgrade - How to Fix?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Swap Partition Not Automatically Activated After Jaunty Upgrade - How to Fix?

Seems that since the upgrade to Jaunty I have to manually mount the swap partition (by setting SWAPON via Partition Editor). While I understand Fstab and have been using Ubuntu since 6.10 so once upon a time had to do edit my Fstab to get the swap to be in use automatically upon boot, I haven't had to worry about that for a while.

Since I swap drives around and things like adding an IDE backup drive can mess up the SATA drive numbers, the fact I didn't have to worry about all that recently has been welcome. So any ideas why it would now not mount the swap upon boot, and how to fix this? I'd prefer not to have to edit Fstab. Is this a Jaunty bug that is to be fixed?
    Soylent Green is PEOPLE!!!

=D> First Stop for Ubuntu Newbies

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Swap Partition Not Automatically Activated After Jaunty Upgrade - How to Fix?

post your

sudo fdisk -l

cat /etc/fstab

sudo blkid

maybe it's just a wrong uuid

Beans
    Distro

Re: Swap Partition Not Automatically Activated After Jaunty Upgrade - How to Fix?

Here is the relevent info. I don't think it is a wrong uuid issue, but then can't really tell since (as you'll see below) blkid doesn't show the swap has one at all. I assume if the other uuids match what is in Fstab, the swap should be fine (can't remember what command I used to get the uuid for the swap, but it supplied the correct ones for the main partitions, and the swap was mounted and activated automatically before the Jaunty upgrade).

sudo fdisk -l

Disk /dev/sda: 750.1 GB, 750156374016 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 91201 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0x2101e331

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/sda1 * 1 45762 367583233+ 7 HPFS/NTFS
    /dev/sda2 45763 90564 359872065 83 Linux
    /dev/sda3 90565 91201 5116702+ 5 Extended
    /dev/sda5 90565 91201 5116671 82 Linux swap / Solaris

cat /etc/fstab

# Ubuntu 64-bit
    UUID=daf56d80-15b5-4314-9672-fd91d12a3bd6 / ext3 defaults,errors=remount-ro,relatime 0 1
    # Windows XP x64
    UUID=1D3688CD689CA81D /media/Windows-XP-x64 ntfs-3g defaults 0 0
    # Ubuntu Swap
    UUID=2eefabb9-6ec1-47a2-b357-959763739388 none swap sw 0 0

sudo blkid

/dev/sda1: UUID="1D3688CD689CA81D" LABEL="Windows Drive" TYPE="ntfs"
    /dev/sda2: UUID="daf56d80-15b5-4314-9672-fd91d12a3bd6" TYPE="ext3"
    /dev/sda5: TYPE="swap"

Anything here shed light on what is happening? Cheers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I guess it could be a bug like you say...Have you searched launchpad?

How about trying the old device format?

# Ubuntu Swap
    /dev/sda5 none swap sw 0 0
    now does it automount?

Beans
    Distro

Yes, it automounts as /dev/sda5, which still begs the question why it won't mount with the uuid (I doubt it has somehow changed since the others are still fine). I would have to say that it is a bug (and no, didn't look it up on Launchpad - I rarely get any answers there, just more questions). The reason I switched to uuids in the first place was because with each kernel update a few versions back my hard drives would get changed from hda to sda and back again, etc, which would play havoc with things like the swap and storage drives mounting (the system would still boot fine, and no GRUB errors thank the stars, but annoying nonetheless).

By the way, is it normal for blkid to give no uuid for the swap when asked? I can't remember what command I used to find the uuids in the first place, but thought it was this one, but now doubt it since it doesn't specify one for the swap.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

no, it's not normal for blkid to not output the swap uuid

yep, uuids helped avoid a lot of grief in the transition to the libata storage driver (which sees everything as 'sdx')

other uuid commands:

sudo blkid -c /dev/null (-->see man page)
    sudo vol_id -u /dev/sda5
    ls -l /dev/disk/by-uuid

Beans
    Distro

Well, sudo blkid -c /dev/null gives the same output as before ("swap"), ls -l /dev/disk/by-uuid does not list the swap partition at all, and sudo vol_id -u /dev/sda5 does absolutely nothing at all but return to the command prompt. That seems a bit weird to me, as I am sure it was either blkid or the second command listed above that I originally got the uuid from.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

hmm...maybe something's screwy with the partition...you might try deleting swap and making a new one.

Beans
    Distro

Well, since the partition seems to be in use and working fine I'd perhaps want to make sure there indeed is something wrong before I do that. Is there any way to check whether the swap is healthy or not? Looking at it via top it looks fine.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

dunno know, maybe fsck, but it will probably show up 'clean'. It's not a bif deal to chuck it and make a new one. just swapoff, open gparted and delete. create a new 'linux-swap'

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast