Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: karmic boot problem

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

karmic boot problem

I am getting an intermittent and annoying problem on boot on my Dell Inspiron 1501 laptop.
    Grub seems to load fine and I get the usual 'boot from hd0,0' followed by a hex number. Then I get the ubuntu logo which is then followed by the 'boot from hd0,0 with hex no.' and below this I get 'Ubuntu 9.10 dell-laptop tty1' and below this 'dell-laptop login:'.
    This will sit for a couple of minutes and then '*stopping Firestarter firewall...'. This happens even if I put in my login and password (it will then give a terminal prompt but the Stopping Firestarter text still comes up) and then a minute or so later the Ubuntu splash comes up an I get the normal login screen.

After login in and checking the status of firestarter, it shows that the firewall is disabled (see attachment). It will not allow me to restart it as it states either et0 or eth1 device is not ready. Also note the eth1 device is called eth1_rename (you can only see the eth1_r but I found it somewhere else and it had the full name), but this is only if eth1 is the device that fails. Once the firewall is restarted this shows no activity but there is on eth0.
    If eth0 fails the names are just eth0 and eth1 but once the firewall is restarted both show identical activity even although eth1 is still shown as not ready. For me to get the firewall to restart I have to run the set up wizard again for the device that is ok.
    I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling Firestarter but this made no difference.
    Please help.

Migs
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro

Re: karmic boot problem

*bump*

Beans
    Distro

Another bump!!

Beans
    Distro

Just to add to the confusion, if I let the computer boot up regardless, if i then stop and start my netwoek connection the firestarter restarts and all is okay after that.
    Surely someone must have an idea as to what is happening??

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by migs73 View Post
    Just to add to the confusion, if I let the computer boot up regardless, if i then stop and start my netwoek connection the firestarter restarts and all is okay after that.
    Surely someone must have an idea as to what is happening??
    I had a similar problem, fixed by adding my user to sudoers! This allowed Firestarter to work correctly.
    Not sure if it's the same problem but worth a try;

type;

HTML Code:
    visudo
    replace 'name' with your user and add it to the end of the file;

HTML Code:
    %name ALL=NOPASSWD: /usr/sbin/firestarter
    **by the way; make sure that if you get any errors on logging out of nano, you go straight back in by typing 'e' otherwise you'll have to use a live cd.
    Last edited by Muttley99; January 1st, 2010 at 08:32 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks Muttley99
    Sorry for the dealy in reponse I've been busy on other things.
    I am a bit of a noob so I assume you mean to put this code in via terminal? I will give this a try, do I have to add all users to be sudoers or does it just look for one?? Remember this is before I login.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Yes, just open a terminal. Just to correct my previous post;

HTML Code:
    sudo visudo
    then enter the line I gave you.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks Muttley99, your code seems to get my firestarter running when I log in without any intervention from me. Of course I would still like to know why my boot pauses half way through asking for my dell-laptop login. I only have to leave it a minute or so till the boot up continues, but it is very annoying.
    NB now when the boot stops it not only says 'Stopping Firestarter Firewall' it also says 'nmbd running' and sometimes something about samba daemons starting. I know these have to run, I just thought I would add the info as it might give someone an idea as to when/why the boot pauses.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Maybe setting Samba to run later in the boot process!
    This should be something like this;

HTML Code:
    sudo update-rc.d samba defaults 99
    However, There are other people here better qualified to help than me - It's better you get advice from them on this before you try the above!

Beans
    Distro

Looking at some other posts about boot problems and someone mentioned looking in the log file viewer. I did this and got a very strange result (see below). Anyone got ant ideas about the 'unknown key pressed' problem. As you can see it is constantly showing pressed and unpressed about 3 times a second.
    Edit;
    Hey after a bit of searching found this http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1282027 and it seems to have worked as far as the key press problem is concerned. Also I have booted twice in a row now without the pause. It has been a while since that happened. Hopefully this is what I needed. If ok for a while I'll mark as solved.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by migs73; February 2nd, 2010 at 10:37 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast