Thread: Boot right into Ubuntu

Beans

Question Boot right into Ubuntu

Is there a way I can boot straight into ubuntu rather than going into the grub menu. I don't really care about memtest and recovery mode. I want to go right to ubuntu! Is that possible I'm on Grub2 with Karmic using the ext4 file-system. Any help would be appreciated

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Boot right into Ubuntu

Go to System (should be on top panel), then Start-up Manager and set the timeout to zero.

This can also be done editing the grub file in /etc/default.

This way, the menu is not shown and Grub goes directly to your default (there's no way to avoid Grub altogether).

You can also remove entries from the Grub menu and leave only the one(s) you want (i.e. remove memtest and recovery).

Memtest can be easily removed by issuing this command in the terminal:

Code:
    sudo chmod -x 20_memtest86+
    Recovery can also be removed by editing /etc/default/grub.

Open the file and find the last line, which read #GRUB_DISABLE_LINUX_RECOVERY="true"

and uncomment (remove the "#")

Beans

Talking Re: Boot right into Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by ricardo.gloe View Post
    Go to System (should be on top panel), then Start-up Manager and set the timeout to zero.

This can also be done editing the grub file in /etc/default.

This way, the menu is not shown and Grub goes directly to your default (there's no way to avoid Grub altogether).

You can also remove entries from the Grub menu and leave only the one(s) you want (i.e. remove memtest and recovery).

Memtest can be easily removed by issuing this command in the terminal:

Code:
    sudo chmod -x 20_memtest86+
    Recovery can also be removed by editing /etc/default/grub.

Open the file and find the last line, which read #GRUB_DISABLE_LINUX_RECOVERY="true"

and uncomment (remove the "#")
    Thanks very helpful new to ubuntu forums and for that matter ubuntu altogether anyway can I give you +rep somehow. Only thing Start-up-manager doesn't come pre-installed you must get it from Ubuntu Software Centre. Anyway Thanks and you rock