Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Using wubi to install ubuntu on a usb drive

Beans

Using wubi to install ubuntu on a usb drive

If I use wubi to install ubunto on my 8gb usb drive, will ubuntu have access to my hard drive, and will it modify or add anything there? I don't want ubuntu to change or add anything on my hard drive or, preferably, even have access to it. How does that work?

Thanks in advance.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Re: Using wubi to install ubuntu on a usb drive

Wubi installations use the Windows boot loader so you may have to do some home work as to whether Wubi will work on a usb. It is possible to access the Windows file system from Ubuntu in a Wubi installation via the Ubuntu file manager.Also check the minimum space requirements for Wubi.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WubiGuide
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

See no point in using Wubi if that is going to be the only OS on that drive. Wubi's main purpose is to prevent you from having to do partitioning. If you're doing that anyway on a USB drive, you would do better doing a traditional install.

Also, if you are running Windows on your internal drive, then do NOT have it connected when you install to the USB drive to prevent accidentally writing GRUB to your Windows drive.
    Ubuntu 20.04, Mint 19.10; MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans

If you wish to install to USB and use the drive just for Ubuntu I suggest trying/using unetbootin it will take any iso or other disk image and install it to nearly any USB drive without issue.

Beans

I got the impression that wubi was the easiest way to install ubuntu on a windows machine, but if unetbootin is better I'll look at that instead. How would I go about disconnecting my internal drive before installing? Sory for the noob questions.

Beans

To install it onto a pen drive I wouldn't use Wubi but use a Linux Live Key program such as the one below:

http://www.linuxliveusb.com/

This program is easy to use and good for running linux distributions without installing it on your hard drive.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

If your machine is a desktop, open the case, look for the hard disc and disconnect the cable. If it is a notebook, turn it around and search for the screws which hold the hard drive. Unlock them and pull out the hard drive.

it will not modify anything, but you have to be reasonable! it will run independently and you will be able to access all information from your hard disk

Beans

Smile Re: Using wubi to install ubuntu on a usb drive

Quote Originally Posted by 2F4U View Post
    If your machine is a desktop, open the case, look for the hard disc and disconnect the cable. If it is a notebook, turn it around and search for the screws which hold the hard drive. Unlock them and pull out the hard drive.
    You don't need to do this if you just run it on a Live USB using LiLi. It will run from your Pen drive and not modify or even go near your hard drive. Just make sure you put the persistence as high as possible because that's the amount of information that can be stored etc. If you have any more questions feel free to PM me or use Google.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by LyTningB0LT View Post
    I got the impression that wubi was the easiest way to install ubuntu on a windows machine, but if unetbootin is better I'll look at that instead. How would I go about disconnecting my internal drive before installing? Sory for the noob questions.
    No need to be sorry. The only foolish question is that which is unasked.
    To clarify
    If your installing to a Windows Machine and intend to keep windows
    Wubi will do this I believe without changing the Windows partition I can not comment on this as I have never used it.

Second option is to Install a Dual-Boot which the install CD will handle. It will resize the partitions as needed/you choose.

If your installing to something like a USB thumb drive which is what I understood earlier then I would use unetbootin for this. Or any of the others suggested.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast