View Poll Results: Has the Karmic Koala Borked your Intel resolution?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • 3D works but resolution wasn't detected properly

5 21.74%
  • 3D Doesn't work, also the resolution is wrong

3 13.04%
  • 3D and resolution are correct

17 73.91%
  • 3D doesn't work but resolution is perfect

2 8.70%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Has the 9.10 Koala eaten your intel graphics resolution?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Has the 9.10 Koala eaten your intel graphics resolution?

It seems that the monitor you use has a great deal to do with detecting resolution, I never thought that a monitor could have incompatibilities but it seems true. The poll seems to indicate this as well as my own testing. When I started out this never entered my consciousness.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

It's down to whether the proper protocols are able to work, and the monitor cable itself has a lot to do with it.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by SonicSteve View Post
    It seems that the monitor you use has a great deal to do with detecting resolution, I never thought that a monitor could have incompatibilities but it seems true. The poll seems to indicate this as well as my own testing. When I started out this never entered my consciousness.
    My first question was going to be whether or not you were testing these rigs on the same peripheral hardware, but you seem to have figured that part out now. Ubuntu can only offer appropriate resolutions if your monitor correctly reports its EDID to the system.

I have a 22" KDS that has never been recognized correctly, however my old 17" KDS was picked up every time. Even using the same cable.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Ok so a little more,

In my upgrading of machines I put my old 9.04 Hdd into a 915 chipset box. Attached the Gateway monitor and yessiree! It detected the old Gateway perfectly.

9.10 has indeed introduced some incompatibility into monitor detection. It doesn't seem to be very prevalent but it does seem to be happening.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by SonicSteve View Post
    I've been curious how about how well Ubuntu installs on these kinds of systems and what kind of performance you get. The horse power at first glance seems comparable to a 4-5 year old laptop. I have an old Compaq 1.5ghz centrino laptop. I have to turn Compiz off in order for it to not lag. I can't offhand remember the chipset it uses other than an older Intel.
    The system has never had Windows installed on it, so I can't say how the performance is there, It has had Intrepid, Jaunty and is currently running Karmic.

For what the system was designed for, it works perfectly. I use it for watching ripped DVD's, and tv shows recorded on my dvr, plus playing music from my collection.

This past weekend I was showing some family members some youtube vides in HQ at full screen, and I was really happy with the performance.

As far as monitor detection goes, I also use a D-Link KVM in my shop with a KDS VS-190 19" crt. I've found that monitor detection seems to be pretty hit and miss on occasion, depending on which version of Windows, or which distibution I'm running, as well as what hardware is being used.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    The system has never had Windows installed on it, so I can't say how the performance is there, It has had Intrepid, Jaunty and is currently running Karmic.

For what the system was designed for, it works perfectly. I use it for watching ripped DVD's, and tv shows recorded on my dvr, plus playing music from my collection.

This past weekend I was showing some family members some youtube vides in HQ at full screen, and I was really happy with the performance.

As far as monitor detection goes, I also use a D-Link KVM in my shop with a KDS VS-190 19" crt. I've found that monitor detection seems to be pretty hit and miss on occasion, depending on which version of Windows, or which distibution I'm running, as well as what hardware is being used.
    That's quite interesting, to this point I have only encountered once where Windows was unable to set the resolution I wanted. It was a cheesy SIS graphic chip and it's bios was simply unable to do widescreen. I guess it was old enough that 4x3 was the only thing conceived of.

With my latest experiment with Ubuntu though a system running 9.04 was able to detect the Gateway correctly, but that same system running 9.10 couldn't. I made sure the KVM was out of the mix.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I got out my old desktop that hasn't been used for over a year. Has the 865 chipset and when I installed (dual boot) Karmic and Lucid the other day (also the .33 kernel) I was shocked at how well it responded to the install. It gave me 1280x1024 res and compiz is working well. I didn't have to 'tweak' any thing. Working great here.
    Last edited by DougieFresh4U; December 19th, 2009 at 07:57 AM.
    (Was)Windows Free At Last
    "May You Have A Safe Trip and A Successful Journey"
    Linux user #432153 Ubuntu user #8521

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Grenage View Post
    It's down to whether the proper protocols are able to work, and the monitor cable itself has a lot to do with it.
    +1, I have a couple of generic monitor cables connecting my media center pc to my HD LCD Tv, with only one cable it isn't detected properly, when daisy chaining the two cables the monitor is detected and the resolution is set properly.

Beans

mine would freeze as soon as it got to the desktop, turning effects off is the fix, but you can't fix it when it's frozen, catch 22.

i just wish it was the old way where you turned on effects if you wanted it, not by default.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by kerry_s View Post
    mine would freeze as soon as it got to the desktop, turning effects off is the fix, but you can't fix it when it's frozen, catch 22.

i just wish it was the old way where you turned on effects if you wanted it, not by default.
    +1, my IBM computer is too slow to use compiz graphics, so it should be disabled by default. At least I can fix it though.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12