Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First there was Ubuntu then Ugabuhzumbalaiubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Lightbulb First there was Ubuntu then Ugabuhzumbalaiubuntu

I really can't understand why people come up with names like Embeddedubuntu. What will the next fancy thing be? Maybe Ugabuhzumbalaiubuntu. Why not keep it simple so it would be easier to remember the names all over the world. Ubuntu (Ubuntu Gnome), Ubuntu K (KDE), Ubuntu X (XFCE), Ubuntu Emb (Embedded).

I have alreay noticed that it's difficult for people to remeber and even hear the difference in Ubuntu and Kubuntu and maybe Xubuntu also. Imagine a phonecall where you explain that someone should install Xubuntu-desktop. They write Kubuntu-desktop because they heard about that a couple of days ago. Instead you could tell them to install ubuntu-x-desktop and ubuntu-kde-desktop etc.

I'm already fed up with all the K characters in names. I recently had to explain that write apt-get install digikam and not digicam. This is not the only "problem". All the appnames starting with K and Gnome are confusing also when trying to read them in alphabetically sorted lists. Everything just begins with K and G and it's much more difficult to focus on the second character.

I won't give any examples here but try to install the 100 most popular Linux-apps and you will have a nice list of applications starting with K, Gnome, GTK, Qt and Py. Why do we have to mention these all the time. And if we have to mention it, why not make it like this: Parted-Qt instead of Qtparted and Parted-G instead of Gparted. Then those two parted apps would also be easier to find in the menus.

Any word from this list would be better

Beans

Re: First there was Ubuntu then Ugabuhzumbalaiubuntu

Embeddedubuntu = Embedded ubuntu. Easy

Beans
    Hidden!

embuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by jhellen
    I really can't understand why people come up with names like Embeddedubuntu. What will the next fancy thing be? Maybe Ugabuhzumbalaiubuntu. Why not keep it simple so it would be easier to remember the names all over the world. Ubuntu (Ubuntu Gnome), Ubuntu K (KDE), Ubuntu X (XFCE), Ubuntu Emb (Embedded).

I have alreay noticed that it's difficult for people to remeber and even hear the difference in Ubuntu and Kubuntu and maybe Xubuntu also. Imagine a phonecall where you explain that someone should install Xubuntu-desktop. They write Kubuntu-desktop because they heard about that a couple of days ago. Instead you could tell them to install ubuntu-x-desktop and ubuntu-kde-desktop etc.

I'm already fed up with all the K characters in names. I recently had to explain that write apt-get install digikam and not digicam. This is not the only "problem". All the appnames starting with K and Gnome are confusing also when trying to read them in alphabetically sorted lists. Everything just begins with K and G and it's much more difficult to focus on the second character.

I won't give any examples here but try to install the 100 most popular Linux-apps and you will have a nice list of applications starting with K, Gnome, GTK, Qt and Py. Why do we have to mention these all the time. And if we have to mention it, why not make it like this: Parted-Qt instead of Qtparted and Parted-G instead of Gparted. Then those two parted apps would also be easier to find in the menus.

Any word from this list would be better
    the *buntu convention really got started after Kubuntu. real KDE Kadres Konstantly Konspire to make Kreative and Konstructive use of the letter K in all projects Kommenced by them. So Kubuntu was the obvious choice. Since Ubuntu begins with a vowel (and not a consonant), it is trivial to make easily-pronounced *buntu variants by adding consonants.

Or would you rather use Mandriva? :-p

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I really can't understand why people come up with names like Embeddedubuntu. What will the next fancy thing be? Maybe Ugabuhzumbalaiubuntu.
    unibuntu - linux for college students! http://www.louisville.edu/~zrtibb01/
    Thinkpad T61p: 15.4" WUXGA Screen, Core 2 Duo T9300, 4GB DDR2, 512MB Quadro 570M, 160GB 7200RPM HDD, DVD+RW, Intel 4965AGN+Bluetooth, 9 Cell Battery
    http://blog.zachtib.com

Beans
    Hidden!

I think I'll use the name Ugabuhzumbalaiubuntu for my new Ubuntu based distro.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Kinda like the Dilbert comic... First there was Dilbert, then Dogbert, then Catbert, and Ratbert and...

Personally, while I love Ubuntu, and its various "mutations", I do feel the *-buntu naming convention is getting a bit out of hand.
    "Who is THE DRIZZLE?"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Like anyone would care what these things sound like. Seems like ..buntu will go on forever Soon we will have a djungle of ..buntus just like KSmoothdock, Kplayer, Kooldock, KFireSaver3D, KXDocker, Knemo, Kmplayer

KThat's Kso Kinnovative

It's almost like when someone tries to give constructive criticism and they get a reply like this: "don't like it, don't use it". It's sad but true.

We should open our eyes also and not only the sources!

Beans
    Distro
    Edgy Eft Testing

Quote Originally Posted by fuscia
    embuntu
    My own personal edition eMuBuNtU

Beans
    Hidden!

Imagine a phonecall where you explain that someone should install Xubuntu-desktop. They write Kubuntu-desktop because they heard about that a couple of days ago. Instead you could tell them to install ubuntu-x-desktop and ubuntu-kde-desktop etc.
    Your English skills have to be ridiculously low for someone to not differentiate Xubuntu with Kubuntu .
    I'm already fed up with all the K characters in names. I recently had to explain that write apt-get install digikam and not digicam.
    Why is that a problem? That's not anyone's problem at all. Humans get used and try to hear what they want to hear, so saying "digicam with a K" shouldn't be a hard feat at all if you try to listen to what people are trying to tell you. You want things your way? sure, we all do. But the developer Kdecided to Kname Keverything he Kmakes with a Kk, so will just have to Kdeal with it, Kok? .

By phone, try telling someone who doesn't know English about Windows, Longhorn, Mandrake and such. It's the same thing. We can't always have it our way.
    Sylvia: Look at what you've done to him!
    Christof: I have given Truman the chance to lead a normal life. The world, the place you live in, is the sick place.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast