Thread: can't play youtube videos

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

can't play youtube videos

Can someone tell me why when I go to a youtube video it is just black? It's actually not even just youtube but all videos but youtube is what I mainly want working.

Beans

Re: can't play youtube videos

Quote Originally Posted by karneson05 View Post
    Can someone tell me why when I go to a youtube video it is just black? It's actually not even just youtube but all videos but youtube is what I mainly want working.
    You will neeed to load Flash Player. Youtube should tell you this & provide a link, which is how I got it in fact. Easy download; no probs & I was up & running in youtube.

Beans

Exclamation Re: can't play youtube videos

One other (audio) problem I had was that I could barely hear a thing, but after lots of fiddling, I downloaded (via Synaptic) "Gnome Alsa Player", and bingo! Had to turn the volume way down. This is in the latest Karmic Koala version by the way. Look at the screen, it claims I have an early version. In fact,then, I could get nothing to work, so I gave it up. This version of ubuntu (9.10) is my latest attempt & it seems a lot better. ---Modem connected automatically, one of the printers, etc etc. The whole system needs a Media Player AT LEAST as good as Windows Media Player 11.--I see this as the current weak link in Linux.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Re: can't play youtube videos

I know that this post is quite old, but I've been busy and rarely used Ubuntu in the last few months, but am looking at switching my desktop over to it completely, so I want to get the problem straightened out on my laptop first.

It's not the Flash player. I have reinstalled it many times thinking I did it wrong or haven't done it and it still isn't working. It's not just youtube either. But when I click on a youtube thumb nail the box where the video would be is just black. Or on facebook it says the video is unavailable. these all work when I am in Windows so I know that it isn't the videos.