Thread: compiz trouble with keyboard entry

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Exclamation compiz trouble with keyboard entry

I'm running Hardy and am playing around with cairo-dock and compiz.
    In an attempt to kill the dock (to get access to an item on the desktop underneath the dock.) I inadvertently killed the gnome-session (parent of cairo-dock).
    Now my windows do not get updated anymore on keyboard input; I have to minimize and restore the window in order to view the results of my entries.

What do I need to do to restore normal operations?

I've reinstalled compiz (not a remove and install, might try this next...), I've checked the drive for errors. to no avail.

When I switch to metacity or openbox, all is functional except for the eye candy of compiz (and the transparency of the cairo-dock).

Anyone has suggestions what I need to do to restore normal operation in compiz?

Just when I was pleased with the eye candy I got going, this happens...

Thanks all for your help,
    chk9
    Why is common sense not common at all

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Lightbulb [Solved] compiz trouble with keyboard entry

Well the purge and reload of compiz did not solve it either.
    I then tried to run it from the command line:

compiz --replace
    And this is what I found:

GConf backend: There is an unsupported value at path /apps/compiz/plugins/scale/allscreens/options/initiate_edge. Settings from this path won't be read. Try to remove that value so that operation can continue properly.
    I first tried System Tools -> Configuration Editor and found the offending key, but it would not let me change it. (Whenever I unset the value and then exit. It's back to "[]" when I reopen the Configuration Editor again.)
    Then I loaded from the command line:

ccsm
    And found under Window Management -> Scale. I disabled and enabled the option (I still could not find the initiate_edge key.) and closed ccsm.
    Then restarted compiz and whala it's now working!

Funny thing is, that it still complains about the error! I guess it was not really the main problem, but maybe just have ccsm rewrite the config fixed my problem.

OK, found now that ccsm is under the Fusion-icon -> Session Manager.
    But you don't see the errors, when you start it from there.
    I also found the folders .gconf/apps/compiz/plugins/, but not the subsequent folder scale/ !

Anyway I'm happy now.
    If anyone knows how to fix the error message, that would be great.

Have Fun, chk9
    Why is common sense not common at all