Thread: How can CTRL+key combos be executed from script?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Smile How can CTRL+key combos be executed from script?

Since this is General Help, I guess that I can ask my question here. I am trying to write up a small script, a function, but I am getting stuck where I normally would use CTRL+Z to pause a process. From what I found on the web, it appears that I could use KILL -STOP and KILL -CONT but then I would have to know the exact number of the process. (I have also tried using & at the end of the last command but that doesn't work.) Let me explain.

I use a broadband dongle that can't be used with network-manager (yet). This dongle has a storage device so when I first plug it in, ubuntu doesn't 'see' it as a modem but as a USB storage device. So the first thing that I have to do is 'eject' this and then ubuntu 'sees' my modem. After this, I use wvdial to connect to the internet but then I have to keep the terminal open to stay connected to the internet because the process is running in the foreground. (here I have tried sudo wvdial nova & but it doesn't work.) So I have to use CTRL+Z to pause the process and then bg to put the process in the background. Then I don't have to leave the terminal dedicated to this process.

As you can see, that is a lot to do just to get on the internet each time. So I am trying to write up a function to do it all in one swoop but I am getting stuck where I would normally type CTRL+Z. Any ideas?

-Yos

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Talking Re: How can CTRL+key combos be executed from script?

Ah, this almost does exactly what I am looking for but it is a bit slow:

function connect {
    sudo eject /dev/scd1
    sleep 5
    sudo wvdial nova
    sudo kill -stop `pidof wvdial`
    sleep 5
    sudo kill -cont `pidof wvdial`
    }