Thread: Celeron M laptop, Skype 2.1 Beta and Ubuntu?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Celeron M laptop, Skype 2.1 Beta and Ubuntu?

Hey all, I'm hoping someone can help me out. I'm about to purchase a couple of used, ex-corporate Intel Celeron M laptops, with the intention of adding a USB webcam and turning them into cheap and cheerful laptop "video phones" for relatives.

Could someone please confirm that they're reasonably successful running Skype with video on a Celeron M laptop?

Skype's listed minimum requirements are Pentium class / 1 GHz CPU and 256 Mb RAM, but they are unclear as to whether that is for minimum audio-only action or whether it will work with video. Additionally, with the Celeron/Pentium naming conventions, it's sometimes hard to know what one is buying??

Any and all advice, thoughts etc are most appreciated!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Celeron M laptop, Skype 2.1 Beta and Ubuntu?

Hi again Andersja

As I said in brief reply on the other thread I have used Skype on my little Acer.

It is happy enough to operate ok if there is nothing else going on that is a drain on bandwidth. I haven't used a cam on the amount of bandwidth I have on Skype as non of the people I communicate with have a cam. I would think the issue with Skype slowing down is not with the small amount of RAM instead with the small amount of bandwidth I have.

Hope this helps.
    Ubuntu User 23142 | Wiki | Laptop | HowTo:Create a background slideshow and Screensaver | Reconditioning pre-loved PCs and installing Ubuntu to give away to good homes.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Celeron M laptop, Skype 2.1 Beta and Ubuntu?

In case anyone else comes searching, I'm happy to confirm that a Celeron laptop with Skype 2.1 beta and Ubuntu 9.10 runs fill screen video conferencing just fine; sound, video - all smooth and as expected!

Yay! =D>