Thread: grub error 18 after messing around inside laptop

Beans

grub error 18 after messing around inside laptop

I've got a Toshiba Sattelite laptop. I've only had it for a year and a half, but it is essentially a pile of broken crap held together almost entirely by my tears. Anyway, it was working as well as it ever does when the screen went out. I took it home, took it apart and fixed the loose connection on one of the cords. Put it back together, screen worked fine, I cheered... then I got to the Grub loading screen and it took forever, then said "Grub error 18."

I looked the error up and the normal causes don't seem consistent with the fact that I did NOT just install Kubuntu, nor did I install anything else, and it has been "working fine" all this time. I opened it up again to see if I hooked something up wrong, but everything seems normal. I am SO confused and more than a little frustrated. It's always one step forward and two steps back with this dreadful laptop. I just want it to work so I can watch videos again.
    Last edited by unchartedstarr; December 18th, 2009 at 08:48 PM. Reason: to be more specific