Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO : ipod touch 3G sync over USB without jailbraking

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: HOWTO : ipod touch 3G sync over USB without jailbraking

Quote Originally Posted by andersq View Post
    Yes, tried rebooting the iPod.

I have checked other folders on the mounted iPod and it seems possible to create folders/files in other folders (f.ex. the /mnt/ipod/iTunes_Control/ but not in the subfolder /Device . But I still cannot create the ipod-read-sysinfo-extended file. I guess it is because of the write issues.

Now isn't that odd?
    I had the same error. To re-iterate from my previous post, for some reason the owner of the Device folder (on the Iphone) was root whereas the login uses "mobile" user. Login as root on the device using ssh and change the owner to mobile and you should be able to create files using mobile user. Also, check other folders; my artworks folder and content was owned by root not mobile.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by FireJet View Post
    Try this:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install gvfs gvfs-backends gvfs-bin gvfs-fuse libgvfscommon0 ifuse libgpod4 libiphone-utils libiphone0 python-iphone libplist++1 libplist-utils python-plist libusb-1.0-0 libusb-1.0-0-dev libusbmuxd1 usbmuxd libusb-1.0-0
    All those packages should work
    Yeah, what he said. I think there are just a few typos in the handy dandy apt-get line.

ibplist++1
    should be
    libplist++1

I don't have libgpod, but I do have libgpod4

also, I don't have the package "libusb-1.0-0-udeb", but I do have
    libusb-1.0-0
    and
    libusb-1.0-0-dev

If you get stumped with the command line, try opening up Synaptic and entering the names in one by one - you might just find it's a simple typo or a version variance.

-zami

Beans
    Hidden!

To the OP
    AWESWOME work!! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!

I haven't manually set a mount point yet. I'm a little leery to do so because after just the first few steps, Rythmbox is loading podcasts into my iPod lickety split, and I kinda don't want to mess that up.

Thanks for your great detective work and excellent how-to!

-zami

Beans
    Hidden!

Nevermind! My answer is in post #4!

Where the guide says
    We can now mount the phone as regular user after connecting it (run “ps ax | grep usbmuxd” to verify that usbmuxd is listening if you want):
    $ ifuse /mnt/ipod/
    Code:
    ifuse /mnt/ipod/
    gives me
    Code:
    ERROR: the mount point specified does not exist
    Am I supposed to make the mountpoint first?

I ran the "ps ax..." line and can see the iPod detected
    3390 ? S< 0:00 /usr/sbin/usbmuxd -u -U
    (Some other items too, but that's the iPod.)

Thanks for any help. And if I figure this out myself (hah!!) I'll share.

-zami
    Last edited by zami; January 11th, 2010 at 04:41 AM. Reason: nevermind

Beans

Hi guys,

Fixed a few typo errors in the HowTo (package names).
    + added the mound point creation step which was missing

The only remaining issue for me is to make it work in amarok 2.2, as it doesn't seem to recognize the fuse mountpoint.
    Any ideas on how to achieve that ?
    Thanx

(I'm getting used to rhythmbox though)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Has anyone else noticed while Rhythmbox itself is slow to transfer music files (compared to GtkPod), usbmuxd and gvfs-backend-afc (or something like that) then keep running at 10% CPU each for about half and hour whilst my iPod display's 'Sync in Progress', which I assume is the updating of the actual music database??

(Note I have about 2000 songs in the library which probably doesn't help) - this is on an iPod Touch with version 3.1.2 OS.

Also thought people might be interested to perhaps try out a version of Rhythmbox which actually has support for syncing your music library (i.e. not just copying files from it as it currently does) - currently is in GNOME git repo (haven't tried it myself yet, may try tonight if I get time to build it...)

Beans

Download the free app titled backrounds, it has tons of free downloadable backrounds. also, if you take an iphoto picture and put it on ur ipod when you go to the app photos and if you click on one there is a button on the bottom that says use as backround

Beans
    Hidden!

I just wanted to report that this is working with gPodder, too.

Like gtkpod, you need to
    ifuse /mnt/ipod/
    and
    fusermount -u /mnt/ipod/
    before/after every time you plug in/out your iPod, respectively.
    (If you try to mount without unmounting first, you get an input/output error.)

gPodder and iPod must have a very different method of marking items as read, because all functions except anything involving "mark/ed as read" works well. But that said, I haven't seen any program that handles un/read episodes the same as gPodder, so I really expected no less.

Love it, love it, love it!!

Thanks manuw!!

-zami

Beans

Thanks so much. Works flawlessly.
    But can please someone answer this

1) I used iproxy earlier in jaunty(which used ssh on usb as mentioned in README in its source) to mount the root filesystem of iphone. Now ifuse seems to mount only mobile directory. Maybe it mounts as user mobile,but is there any way i can mount the root directory using ifuse(along with the plug'n'play thing)

2) Also how can i install an .ipa file directly to my ipod from computer(no cydia,appstore). Should be possible since all cydia would be doing is some version management and file movement. maybe change the ipa file to the corresponding deb file (both are archives of executables..)

Thanks

Beans

My mistake...Should look things up before asking..

1) easy enough ...there is a --root option in ifuse...Still have to see how it will go with plugnplay thing..but maybe by setting an alias in bashrc itself might suffice

2) there is app called installous for the same..Just need to move the ipa file..

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast