Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sharing printer without internet connection

Beans

Sharing printer without internet connection

Hi all,
    Can i access a printer attached on a remote ubuntu system from another ubuntu pc without using internet connection? The computers were connected by LAN. Any advise will be greatly appreciated

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Sharing printer without internet connection

Depends what you mean by 'remote' If both boxes are networked together on the same site. ie on the same local network (LAN)
    Check out this page for instructions.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ne...tingWithUbuntu
    Linux Registered User #443947 Ubuntu Regestered User #12604

Hakunamatata ...... No worries !

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by IcarusR View Post
    Depends what you mean by 'remote' If both boxes are networked together on the same site. ie on the same local network (LAN)
    Check out this page for instructions.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ne...tingWithUbuntu
    thanks for the reply
    i had tried it before and it worked using ipp. however, it can't be used without connection to internet. the boxes are networked using LAN cable.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Strange because I've just setup a printer that is attached to my LAN server using that very document. Both boxes are running Ubuntu 8.10. I do have Internet access but that is NOT necessary.

The device uri is
    ipp://192.168.1.65:631/printers/Epson-Stylus-COLOR-600
    The printer is also listed on the cups web interface at

http://127.0.0.1:631

I had to set the printer up on the server so it prints from it. Then the printer pops up in the 'Printer Configuration' app as an available printer.

I suggest you have another go.

Beans

Strange because I've just setup a printer that is attached to my LAN server using that very document. Both boxes are running Ubuntu 8.10. I do have Internet access but that is NOT necessary.

The device uri is

The printer is also listed on the cups web interface at

http://127.0.0.1:631

I had to set the printer up on the server so it prints from it. Then the printer pops up in the 'Printer Configuration' app as an available printer.

I suggest you have another go.
    Would you tell me how did you build your LAN and LAN Server? does it need internet connection to connect one box to another?
    I'm not so sure, but i think i'm going to use Samba. but i don't know if it uses internet or not

Beans

Samba will work, and it doesn't need an internet connection. The easiest way is to use a printer that has an ethernet interface, and connect it to a router connecting the computers, but you can make it work with a USB printer connected to a computer. An internet connection is not an essential part of a LAN.

Beans

One thing that https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ne...tingWithUbuntu doesn't mention is that you need to mark each printer you want to share as shared.

Open the printer configuration system > admin > printing
    right click on the printer you want to share
    select properties
    select policies
    check the box "shared"

That should do it.

Enjoy!

EDIT: I just added the additional instruction to the documentation ;]
    Last edited by LinuxDeal; December 18th, 2009 at 05:06 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Would you tell me how did you build your LAN and LAN Server? does it need internet connection to connect one box to another?
    I'm not so sure, but i think i'm going to use Samba. but i don't know if it uses internet or not
    I have a home server in the cupboard, which it connected to my router (also adsl modem). My laptops connect to router by wifi.
    Internet is not necessary for any of my LAN (local area network) to work, including printing.

The printer has to be setup & working on the box it is connected to in order for it to be visible elsewhere on the network.

Samba is not easy to setup, that's why I don't use it for printer. Cups is easier in my opinion & you get a nice web interface for management.

Beans

I have a home server in the cupboard, which it connected to my router (also adsl modem). My laptops connect to router by wifi.
    Internet is not necessary for any of my LAN (local area network) to work, including printing.

The printer has to be setup & working on the box it is connected to in order for it to be visible elsewhere on the network.

Samba is not easy to setup, that's why I don't use it for printer. Cups is easier in my opinion & you get a nice web interface for management.
    how is the printer addressed in the client box? does it use ipp?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by LinuxDeal View Post
    One thing that https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ne...tingWithUbuntu doesn't mention is that you need to mark each printer you want to share as shared.

Open the printer configuration system > admin > printing
    right click on the printer you want to share
    select properties
    select policies
    check the box "shared"

That should do it.

Enjoy!

EDIT: I just added the additional instruction to the documentation ;]
    i don't know if i have checked it or not. i have not seen the LAN again since around last week (they're not mine). but the client box was enable to access the print server. the problem is, it needed internet connection.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast