Thread: tar.gz and file property notes

Beans

tar.gz and file property notes

I've been using tar.gz archives to backup and transfer files, but I've found that notes I've added to files in the properties have been stripped when they come back out of the archive. Is there some way I can tar files without losing notes that I've added?

Beans

Re: tar.gz and file property notes

Is there not any way I can get files in and out of a tar archive with property notes attached to the file?

Beans
    Hidden!

could you please explain your problem in detail.

please mention the steps or post the script (if any), you are using for the backup.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

The OP is talking about when you attach a note to a file by right-clicking the file and going to Properties, and then clicking the Notes tab.

I can't seem to figure out where the notes are stored either; can anyone shed some light on it?
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans

3rdalbum is correct on the notes. To archive, I'm just right clicking on folders and selecting compress to generate an archive of them.

Beans
    Hidden!

after some searching i found this:

Both emblems and notes are stored in XML files, one per directory, in ~/.nautilus/metafiles/. To be more accurate, a reference to the emblems is stored in the XML file The emblem icons are in /usr/share/pixmaps/nautilus/Bluecurve/ (in Fedora Core 5). In each XML file, there is a tag called <keyword> and emblems are stored in the "name" property. Each emblem assigned creates a new <keyword> tag. Notes are stored in the <file> tag in the "annotation" property. Here is a snippet of a metafile with the cool emblem and a note:
    <file name="workfile.txt" timestamp="1147178708" annotation="this is a note added to the workfile.txt file."><keyword name="cool"/></file> In addition to information about emblems and notes, the metafiles store things like window size, location, view mode, and backgrounds.
    source:
    Code:
    http://www.linuxboxadmin.com/articles/tools-and-utilities/nine-things-you-should-know-about-nautilus.html
    so these notes are stored in these metafiles under the annotation tag.

Beans

Interesting, but might that have recently changed? I first noticed the notes problem when transferring files from my old laptop (running Jaunty) to my new laptop (Karmic), and looking back at the old hard-drive the metafiles are all there with the annotations, but .nautilus on the Karmic box is just empty.

Beans
    Hidden!

might be possible. i can't verify it since i am not using ubuntu. maybe something to do with gnome 2.28.