Thread: Ubuntu system administration training

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Ubuntu system administration training

I am fairly proficient with ubuntu on the desktop. I have been put in charge of system administration at our small private school since I know more about computers than anyone else. I have learned so much over the last year - servers, networking, and other system administration tasks are so much different than configuring pulse audio or wifi.

I know that I need to learn more. I have learned tons just from doing it and from asking questions in places such as this forum. I think I need more. I have looked into certifications such as LPIC and some of the training that goes along with that. I was wondering if anyone else here has had any training such as what I am looking for. Where did you go to? Was it worth the time and cost? Would it be better to just keep learning as I go? I just feel that I am always a few steps behind.

Beans
    Distro

Re: Ubuntu system administration training

Getting a certification doesn't make you smarter. If your job at the school requires that you get one, then have them pay for it.

Otherwise, you'll learn more just by doing stuff on your own time and at your own pace.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I agree that the certification does not make you smarter, but the process of preparing for it could keep me well-rounded. I know there are many that don't care about a certification, but I don't care about its merits other than the process of learning so that I can do what I do better.

Beans

Buy a book, then. those certifications are expensive, and won't do anything for your career. If your school won't pay for it, I wouldn't bother.

You'll learn everything you need to know by waiting until something breaks, and then fixing it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by llamabr View Post
    Buy a book, then. those certifications are expensive, and won't do anything for your career. If your school won't pay for it, I wouldn't bother.

You'll learn everything you need to know by waiting until something breaks, and then fixing it.
    I am on the hunt for more *nix sys admin knowledge as well, do you have any book recommendations? I have been told that the Essential Systems Administration 3rd edition from Oreilly by AEleen Frisch is great, but it is also 8 years old. Should I look for something different? Thank you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

One book, I particularly like is called Linux Administration Handbook from Prentice Hall. I suggest you check that out, as it's pretty good for a someone who is versed enough already, but wants to take it up a couple more notches. It covers many of the popular Linices (sp?). It's huge tho.