Thread: apt-get uptdate problem

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

apt-get uptdate problem

Hello, I'm having a bit of a problem updating a server here at my company. It's a server that was set up before I started and is often neglected. However, it does require an update as a security scan revealed some flaws.

Anyhow, when I try to run the apt-get update I get this over and over:

Code:
    W: Failed to fetch ftp://ubuntu.mirrors.tds.net/ubuntu/dists/hardy-security/restricted/source/Sources.gz  The server refused the connection and said: OOPS: vsftpd: cannot locate user specified in 'ftp_username':ftpubuntu
    Obviously the ftp address is a little different each time, but it's the same message. I'm not even sure if vsftpd is installed on this machine because I can't find the .conf file in /etc to see if there's anything wrong there. When I try to install vsftpd it gives me the same message.

Anyone have any ideas?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: apt-get uptdate problem

I know this is a bit obvious, but is there an internet connection?

Also, try changing the repository by going to System -> Administration -> Software Sources -> Download from
    John Brooks

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by Frogging101 View Post
    I know this is a bit obvious, but is there an internet connection?

Also, try changing the repository by going to System -> Administration -> Software Sources -> Download from
    This is a server, so I presume there is no gui to work with, only apt-get. Unfortunately I am not sure how to change the server settings from the cli, but no doubt others will know how to do it. That may help, but I think it would also help to see your /etc/apt/sources.list file to see if there is anything there that looks wrong.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Ah, not sure why I didn't check the sources.list file (seems like whenever I post here someone always comes back with something really obvious). It seems that someone was screwing around with that at one point and it didn't look right. So I looked up a default version of the file and replaced it, now it seems all is right with the world. Thanks!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Great! Glad my thoughts were helpful.